Review of Andy’s Adventure in Outer Space

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Review of Andy’s Adventure in Outer Space

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Andy’s Adventure in Outer Space" by Tammy Wuttunee.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Andy is an avid space explorer. Dressed in his homemade astronaut helmet and star print pajamas, he pretends to fly around in a spaceship. After his energy runs out, there is a place where his imagination ships him out of this world.

Written by Tammy Wuttunee, Andy’s Adventure in Outer Space is a science fiction story about dreams and the universe. Energetic Andy, who doesn’t want to stop his creative and fantasy play, falls asleep and is transported across the solar system. His journey takes him to each planet in the Milky Way galaxy—but be careful, some planets are “too hot to touch,” such as Mercury. After visiting every planet, Andy realizes that he can’t find Pluto. Is there a reason why? I adored this innuendo about poor Pluto’s demotion.

The plotline is straightforward; Andy learns a least one fact about each planet he visits. For example, Venus is the brightest celestial body in the nighttime sky. However, the author doesn’t bombard the story with heavy facts, making the reading experience light. This simplicity makes the book a wonderful bedtime lullaby—it is not overstimulating and one of my favorite aspects.

Wuttunee’s writing style is perfect for most second-graders, and advanced first graders wouldn’t have a problem with the vocabulary. The sentences are written with end rhymes in freestyle prose. This book hardly contains any punctuation marks; I could not be sure if this was done purposely. I did wince, in some instances, wishing for a comma or an end-period. Therefore, if you are a traditionalist in grammar style, you might take issue with this negative aspect.

Lauren Curley’s illustrations are fascinating. The starry celestial background gives off calming vibes. Her images are hand-drawn, which makes her work authentic. I particularly enjoyed the watercolor blending effect used for the planets; they can be challenging to recreate. There is also a tiny green alien who photobombs Andy at every turn. Children will have a blast picking him out.

Aside from the loose punctuation, I enjoyed this book and rated it 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to children who enjoy make-believe and space exploration. I also recommend the paperback, as opposed to the e-reader. The former is easier on the eyes, especially before bedtime. I don’t recommend it to anyone searching for in-depth information about the solar system.

Andy’s Adventure in Outer Space
View: on Bookshelves
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

I think they can work on the minor flaw of punctuation. This book sounds interesting. Thank you for your beautiful and well crafted review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Wow, I would love to follow Andy in his amazing journey! Thank you for this incredible review!
Favour AN
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-an.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Favour AN »

I would add this to my shelf. Seems like a good read. I'm curious to know why he did not find pluto?
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

With pretty illustrations and a writing style that doesn't go too deeply into details, this sounds like the perfect book for young children. Thank you for a lovely review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Precious DA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-da.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Precious DA »

Seems like an interesting book. I would certainly love to read this!
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

I love a good story written in a freestyle prose poetry format. Although I'm way too old for this book, I love reading such children's books. It's calming in a way. Thanks for your lovely review.
Toby Ronans
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toby-ronans.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by Toby Ronans »

The hand-drawn illustrations make the book seem more intriguing. I would love to read this book. I am curious about learning about different planets. Thanks for the tremendous review.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

This fiction book sounds fascinating to read. I Would add this book to my shelf. Great review.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

Such is the power of dreams for Andy. Thanks for the review.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I am interested to read this one because it combines children and space stories that are really rare

Return to “Children's Books”