Review of The Grok of the Rock

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Review of The Grok of the Rock

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Grok of the Rock" by Zander Van Duff.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the land of Binnee-Boo-Bok, there lives a community of Groks who are fond of outdoor activities. In the summer, they pick ripe berries, and in winter, they slide on the ice. Harry the Grok aces every game, making him the best Grok there is. Meanwhile, we have Sidney, who’s small and weak. All the other kids make fun of him for not being good at these games. But there are things that Harry, the big and strong Grok, can’t do that only Groks as small and frail as Sidney can. Can Sidney finally be able to prove himself?

What I like the most about Zander Van Duff’s The Grok of the Rock is its fascinating message to its readers. There is no point in comparing ourselves to other people, as we have strengths that are unique to us. Each person has his potential, something only he can do. I think it’s very important to instill this idea in the minds of our young readers. It’s a simple lesson, but it will keep all sorts of insecurities from developing. In the book, Sidney is always the butt of the joke for not being as good as his peers. However, Sidney is helpful and kind still despite it all. His character is also a reminder to a young, impressionable kid to always be patient and kind.

I liked the illustrations inside the book. They were big and colorful. The young readers’ eyes will be glued to the pages of this book, as the characters have very expressive faces. The narration uses rhyming words, which is also a positive aspect of the book. I can’t think of anything to dislike about the story itself. The only issue I have is with the editing of this book. I found more than ten typographical errors, which led me to believe that the book wasn’t professionally edited.

I would give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. Its message is simple but important in building a kid’s self-esteem. I subtracted a star because of the poor editing. I recommend this book to children between the ages of four and seven who adore picture books. Children who like reading about animals will have fun indulging in this story.

It is nice how the book acknowledges that we all are Sidney at some point in our lives. We feel weak and incapable, comparing ourselves to others who seem to be doing better than us. Therefore, I think adults can also benefit from the lessons inside this book.

The Grok of the Rock
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

It sounds like a beautiful book with an important lesson. Kindness should always be encouraged. Thank you for a lovely review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Celoulou
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Celoulou »

The grok of the rock is a very nice book . This delightful heartwarming book tells the story of Sidney and Harry, two Groks who live in the land of Binnee-Boo-Bok. Harry is big and strong and the best at Grok games. Sidney is small and no good at all. The Groks soon discover being small can be a good thing The entire story rhymes and the beautiful illustrations will ensure children will want to read it over and over again. Thank you !
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

This book sounds interesting,I would really love to read about this book, nice review.
Elon Gathungu
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elon-gathungu.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by Elon Gathungu »

The book has a good message for young readers. There is no point in comparing ourselves to others because we are all unique and everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Informative review.
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

I'm delighted to be part of Grok's outdoor fun. I want to find out more about this book. Thanks for a wonderful and great review!

Return to “Children's Books”