Review of Callum McBride

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The 2021 Chronicles by A Glenn Rose

Review of Callum McBride

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Callum McBride" by Michael Riding.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Callum McBride by Michael Riding revolves around two twelve-year-olds: Callum McBride, an adopted boy who had the unique ability to access the minds of animals and control them, and Emma Higgins, an autistic whizz-kid. Emma was new to the neighborhood, and both of them feeling lonely and without friends during the holidays would lead them to connect. They would endure a rocky start to their friendship while Callum struggled to understand Emma. Nevertheless, their special abilities would draw them closer, and when the suspicious origin of Callum's ability starts to come to light, Callum and Emma are drawn into dangerous situations, as they encounter people that will go to any length to keep their secrets.

Michael Riding has presented a story that deeply engrossed me from start to finish, especially with the inclusion of Callum's unique ability that piqued my interest from my first encounter. My favorite aspect of the book was the author's expert execution of the characters who drive the story. We meet Callum and Emma, who are experiencing similar circumstances of not having any friends around. They also know that they are different from the people around them. I liked how the author explored the differences between both of these characters and the tension those differences caused at certain points. For one, Callum seemed to lie a lot, and Emma always told the truth in any circumstance. Also, Emma had a straightforward and serious personality, while Callum was more complicated. Watching their relationship grow was a positive for me.

Watching a couple of children having to go through investigating a case that has been ongoing for years without resolution was difficult for me to fathom initially; however, when one of the children is a genius, and the other possesses "teletransference" abilities, it swings things in the protagonists' favor a little bit but not too much since the antagonist has an admirable spirit of determination and a special weapon of his own that I will not disclose here.

The story is fast-paced and full of adventure, suspense, and intense moments while the protagonists go deeper into their investigations of the root of Callum's powers. Readers will find it easy to root for these kids who face impossible odds. The level of detail the author employs in describing Callum's experiences in the minds of animals is also noteworthy.

The only thing I disliked about this book was the number of errors I found while reading. The errors were minor and not difficult to read through, but they occurred more times than I would have liked. A professional editor's touch would make this a perfect read.

All things considered, I thoroughly enjoyed reading Callum McBride. The issues with editing mean that I have to settle for rating the book three out of four. Readers who enjoy action and fantasy novels will enjoy reading this book. The book is portrayed as a children's book in its description, but I would not recommend it to children due to the inclusion of some scenes involving killings and minor profanity.

Callum McBride
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

I guess the author could work on the many errors. Great review, you've made me interested in this book.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

This will be a nice read as the two lonely Callum McBride and Emma Higgins becomes friends. Thanks for the review.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

From the review, this book seems to be interesting and will be an easy read, also this book can be suited for both adults and children. But I would not be picking this book.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I look forward to reading more about Callum and Emma. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

This looks like quite an intriguing plot. Would definitely love to have this one on my shelf. Great review.

Return to “Children's Books”