Review of Kammie’s Dream

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Kammie’s Dream

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kammie’s Dream" by Kimberly Thomas.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Kammie's Dream by Kimberly Thomas, Kammie, a five-year-old girl, always desired to change the world, but she didn't know what to do. She always wanted to make the world a better place. One night as she was in bed, she finally figured it out. The following morning, she left her room, ran downstairs, and began packing snacks and fruits.

Surprised, Kammie's mum asked her what she was doing. She broke the news to her mom about her idea of making the world a better place. What was she planning to do with that food? Better still, did mum support Kammie?

I enjoyed a few things. Firstly, the writing is good. I mean, the language is simple to an adult. However, depending on the age, kids may encounter new words as they read. By this virtue, children will consult their meanings, and as a result, they'll learn new terminologies.

Additionally, the story uses kind words during dialogues: please, exchanging pleasantries, etc. Furthermore, Kammie is a compassionate girl. She was willing to sacrifice her time and resources for her noble course. Children will be motivated to be as humble and selfless as her.

That said, I felt a few bits were missing to make the book flawless. One, I wished the book was enhanced with eye-catching pictures, as they would captivate children. Also, I hoped the writings would be in different fonts and colors. By so doing, the novella would not only have been colorful but also would have enticed children's attention. Though those were the aspects I disliked, they weren't strong enough to make me fault the book's rating.

Nonetheless, the work has editing issues, as I found missing punctuation marks and other grammatical errors. Plus, I would have appreciated it if opening and closing speech marks were used in all dialogues. I had a hard time distinguishing dialogues from the main story. For these reasons, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. Children between the ages of 4 to 10 years will be a great fit for this book.

Kammie’s Dream
View: on Bookshelves
Sarah C McHum
Favorite Book: Do I Need a Will or a Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-c-mchum.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Sarah C McHum »

Thanks for your honest review. I am looking for a book that suits my niece. I like the story, but I don't find it suitable if you said there are quite lots of grammar and punctuation errors.
Priya_Singh
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-singh.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya_Singh »

I would gift this book to my sibling if it was a little edited and error free. Thank you for the through review.🌻🌼
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I would love to read more about this book and read to my younger ones as well, thanks for the honest review.

Return to “Children's Books”