Review of Elementals

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of Elementals

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Elementals" by Tayma Tameem.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In a small village in the Water Kingdom, a little girl, Ember, awoke after a nightmare to find that she couldn't remember anything about her past. She also didn't know the man, Dimitrius, or his wife, Brook, who claimed to be her parents, let alone the children introduced as her siblings. However, they took good care of her, so they might well be her family. But she couldn't understand why some kids in the village bullied her and told her she didn't belong with them. An adult even accused Dimitrius of being a traitor because of her. Could it be because her skin was lighter or that they knew something about her she couldn't remember?

Ember finds out that her father could wield water, just like the other folks in the Water Kingdom, and learns to do the same. However, she is even more powerful and has not yet mastered her powers. She meets an old hermit from whom she finds out that there are other kingdoms. She also meets an orphan boy, Kelp, who becomes her friend even though he detests talking about his background. Despite Ember's efforts to have the people in her village accept her, it seems she is truly an alien among them and is yet to uncover the truth about who she is. Are Dimitrius and Brook her parents? Can Kelp be trusted? And who is this man that keeps trying to find her in her recurring nightmares? Begin to find the answers to these questions and more in Elementals: Ember by Tayma Tameem.

This title is the first installment in the Elementals series. And honestly, I can't wait to read the other books in the series. I have always wished for the opportunity to read one of Tayma's books, as I have read many positive reviews for her publications. Fortunately, this title didn't disappoint. Her writing style is impeccable, and I love how readers of different ages would enjoy this book. This tale is an intriguing and well-written epic fantasy that would thrill lovers of coming-of-age stories with suspenseful narrations and unpredictable twists.

What I like most about this book is its characterization. It's so easy to relate to the characters and understand their feelings. While Ember is lovable and my favorite, I also liked Dimitrius' character. He is kind, articulate, and brave. Since this book is the first installment in a series, the backstories for the characters gradually start coming towards the end of the story, which is one of the reasons I can't wait to read the next one. Nevertheless, I still found the characters to be lifelike. The dialogues are also natural, and I must commend the author for making the kids' conversations in the book mature with them.

Furthermore, the author's worldbuilding ability is fascinating. We are yet to explore the Fire, Air, and Earth Kingdoms, so my fingers are crossed for that in the coming installments. And considering the author's work with the Water Kingdom, I expect a good job. More so, the supernatural elements in the book made the book alluring. For example, no one knew where the old hermit lived, but he found a way to show up when needed. I loved that!

In conclusion, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and didn't dislike anything about it. Tayma's language is also simple, and the book's editing is praiseworthy, as I found only two errors throughout my read. Therefore, I happily rate Elementals: Ember 4 out of 4 stars. However, prospective readers should expect a cliffhanger ending that intriguingly sets the tone for the next installment. Having 308 pages, I believe classing this publication under children's books is a mistake. Hence, I recommend this book to epic fantasy lovers who enjoy coming-of-age stories, especially those with strong female protagonists.

Elementals
View: on Bookshelves
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Insomnia and social discrimination could lead to depression, I hope Ember gets through this at the end, nice review.
ravishkrtth
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ravishkrtth »

I have read this and enjoyed the story and nothing to unlike about it. The author's language is very simple to understand for me, also the book's editing is wonderful, also found some errors which are neglectable when I am reading. I am happy to say that your book is well written, I want to rate your efficiency: 4 out of 4 stars. when coming to point that readers should expect a happy ending that fascinatingly. sets the tone for the next portion of the novel. I believe high style; elegance this book published under children's books is a fault. that's why I suggest this book to High fantasy lovers who joyful significant ages for young adult stories, especially those with strong female Supporter. This is my personal opinion
Ivvie Ivanova
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading: Beyond Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivvie-ivanova.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Spanish Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ivvie Ivanova »

Sounds like something I'd enjoy! I love reading such books this time of year, so I will pick this up. Thank you for your review!
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

I have to admit that the cover illustration piques my interest. I know they say not to judge a book by its cover, but from your review, it seems like I may be on the right track. Thank you for your wonderful review!
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

Wow, waking up from a nightmare could change things. I would love the read the full book because of this mouthwatering review. Thanks for the review
ISIBOR KELVIN
Currently Reading: Findin9 H2OM3
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isibor-kelvin.html
Latest Review: What’s Forever For? A Physician’s Guide To Everlasting Love And Success In Marriage by George P “Jeep” Naum, III

Post by ISIBOR KELVIN »

This looks live one of those fantasy tvshows I enjoy binging. I'm sold!
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

It's really weird to wake up from a nightmare and then you realized you don't know who you are or the people surrounding you. Seems like a thrilling story that will keep one on edge as many twist and turns is unraveled. Thanks for the captivating review.
peter-turo
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-turo.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by peter-turo »

Fans who enjoy intriguing fantasy will appreciate this book. Thanks for a detailed thourogh review here.
queen anirah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queen-anirah.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by queen anirah »

This is a must read in my opinion. I want to know how well she’ll be able to harness her powers and groom herself for troubles she might face in future.

Return to “Children's Books”