Review of At Night The Kids Become Adults

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of At Night The Kids Become Adults

Post by Melisa Jane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "At Night The Kids Become Adults" by Jemere Nelson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Every time a parent tells their kids to go to bed, or not to eat any more candies, the first thought that comes to the kids' minds is, "I can't wait to be an adult; I'll be doing whatever I want." Some even say it out loud. What the kids fail to understand is that adulthood comes with responsibilities. These responsibilities outweigh these simple pleasures by far. At Night, the Kids Become Adults by Jemere Nelson is a fictional children's book that tries to show the children what adulthood feels like.

Mena and Gabriel are living with their parents. However, they don't understand why they have to go to bed early. They argue that, since they are homeschooled and, therefore, don't have to catch the morning bus, it's illogical to go to bed early. After some convincing and some playtime with their dad, they finally fell asleep. They woke up at night and realized that they had become adults. Mena was wearing her mother's clothes and Gabriel his father's. Gabriel had even grown beards. How will their experience as adults be?

I liked several things about this book. First, the illustrations are exceptional. I'm sure kids will find them visually appealing. Second, the author used a very simple vocabulary. This makes the book ideal for even younger kids. Third, the book has an invaluable lesson; it teaches the kids to be more responsible by showing them how hard it is to be a parent. Since I didn't find any grammatical errors while reading, this book was exceptionally edited.

There isn't anything I disliked about the book. However, I have some improvement suggestions. First, since the target audience is young children between the age of 4 and 13 years, it may be difficult for them to understand the valuable lessons in this book. The author should, therefore, consider introducing the "lessons learned" subtopic towards the end of the book. Second, for a children's book, this book's font is too small. The author should consider using a larger font to make it easier for children to read.

In conclusion, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I didn't rate it 3 out of 4 stars or lower because there isn't anything I disliked about it. I recommend it to children between the age of 4 and 13 years. I can't think of any groups of people who won't enjoy it.

At Night The Kids Become Adults
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

Boy, weren't we wrong when we wished to be adults as kids! Your comment on the illustrations in the book is evident on the book's cover page. Great review.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Adulting isn’t always as grand as it seems from a child’s perspective, and it sounds like Mena and Gabriel definitely got a crash-course in experiencing what mature responsibilities actually entail. Thanks for your review!
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Children have this ideology of being able to do anything they want when they become adults, they have no idea what the future holds for them. Good review.
Jydel
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Currently Reading: Diary of a wimpy kid
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jydel.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Jydel »

Didn't we all want to be adults over night at some point in our childhood? I guess such a book would have come in handy. At Night The Kids Become Adults is a book I want my child to read. I think it will be an eye opener to kids who can't wait to be adults.
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

Didn't we all desire to be adults when we were younger? If only I had savored my youth more. This is a book that I will absolutely read to my children. I need to impart in them the importance of cherishing their childhood. Exceptional evaluation
Amanda I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-i.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by Amanda I »

I most certainly can relate to this. I had this urge of becoming an adult and moving on with life. When's the money going to come? When do I make my own rules? However, I think I'd want to be a child today. This is quite an amazing book. Thanks for the review!
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

and now the adults say i wish am a kid again, sounds like a cute story, great review
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Avishi
Currently Reading: all body bags and no knickers
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishi.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade
Reading Device: Pdf

Post by Avishi »

This narrative appears to be quite amusing to read. The storyline was really funny as well as thinkable. The author's attempt to teach a useful life lesson through this was greatly appreciated. Well done, and thanks for the review.

Return to “Children's Books”