Review of SweetMart

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 510
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Review of SweetMart

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "SweetMart" by Zaza Hasan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Angelo, like many kids, loves candy of all kinds! Sadly, his candy-loving days came to an end after he was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Angelo knows that if he eats a lot of candy, he will get a stomach ache, go to the bathroom more frequently, or even pass out. However, this fact does not stop him from eating numerous candies when he visits SweetMart, a store with sugary treats galore. Angelo passes out again but, unlike last time, is visited by a group of angels. Why are these angels here? What adventures await him during this dream? Will he see his mommy and daddy again? These questions and more await readers in the book SweetMart: Angelo’s Candy Dream.

Firstly, I want to commend Zaza Hasan for writing a book about Type 1 diabetes. My brother has this illness too, and it is sometimes difficult to take care of someone who has a specific diet and medication. This book portrays Angelo’s struggle with his new lifestyle well, and I imagine this is how my brother feels. For children without Type 1 diabetes, SweetMart can give them an idea of what life is like with this illness. The honesty about the struggles of adjustment is my favorite part of the book.

Zaza’s imagination is commendable as well. The angel names and candy monsters give a sense of adventure and fear; this is something that many kids will enjoy wholeheartedly. The illustrations take on a more 3-D effect, which reminds me of the artwork used in modern children’s cartoons. There are playoffs of a popular video game store and video game mentioned in this book, which I know children will recognize.

References for Type 1 diabetes education at the end of the book would be great inclusions for readers. An insulin pump and a specific diet are mentioned in the story but not described. Given the nature of the book, it would not be appropriate to describe these subjects in great detail. However, giving readers ways to learn more about this form of diabetes will align with the author’s goal of educating his audience.

After considering the whole book, there was nothing that I disliked about it. There are only a few grammatical errors in the book, but they are mostly related to spacing issues. SweetMart deserves nothing less than 4 out of 4 stars. Angels are a large part of the story, and they occasionally refer to a higher being related to certain religious beliefs. However, there isn’t a favored religion anywhere in the text. Children who have Type 1 diabetes will heartily enjoy reading this book. I also recommend it to the friends of these children. This way, their friends can learn more about the lifestyles of Type 1 diabetics.

SweetMart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Nkululeko Dumisa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nkululeko Dumisa »

It's hard to understand the story it's truly a dream..
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

I some way this book teaches one what Type 1 diabetes entails. I think it's a good one. Well-done on your review.
Iqra Rafiq 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iqra-rafiq-1.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere

Post by Iqra Rafiq 1 »

Getting diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in childhood is something that worries some when you are a sweet lover, and it becomes difficult for parents to stop their children from eating chocolate and other sweet stuff. It is not only challenging for that kid but it's a whole homework for the parent too .juvenile diabetes should be treated properly. I appreciate the concept of writing a children book on this topic. Thanks for the detailed review
Amanda I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-i.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by Amanda I »

Type 1 diabetes is difficult to deal with. I would love to see how this young boy manages to get through it. I also want to know the significance of the angels.
Karobe Parkes

Post by Karobe Parkes »

Well I think this book teaches and I believe that a lot of people can gain knowledge for it also.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

This is a unique children's book. Zaza Hasan seems like quite the imaginative one. Great review, Katie!
Small amal

Post by Small amal »

Imagine you are a child with type one diabetes, of course like many other children, you will be denied the chance to enjoy sweets and candies. However, if getting lots of Candy will help you get a chance to see your deceased parents, what are you going to choose? How is the reunion with your parents going to be? Will you be able to talk to them? It's a great book.
Kaitlyn Canedy

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

RHD wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 11:02 This is a unique children's book. Zaza Hasan seems like quite the imaginative one. Great review, Katie!
He certainly is! Zaza definitely has a great imagination, which made me enjoy this book greatly. :)
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Kaitlyn Canedy

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Amanda I wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 06:01 Type 1 diabetes is difficult to deal with. I would love to see how this young boy manages to get through it. I also want to know the significance of the angels.
I can't agree more. My youngest brother was diagnosed with it a mere two months before COVID-19 caused a shutdown in my country. Not only did we have to deal with the stress of this brand-new virus, but we had to learn about Type 1 diabetes and how we can help him manage it. Thanks for the comment! :)
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

It's not a wonder why we often take in what kills us gradually. Children can hardly avoid sweet things. Great review.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

sounds like a cute children's book, definitely must turn into a movie, good review
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

I like the idea of writing a children's book about this subject. The fact that the author has attempted to educate us all about such a dangerous condition is already something to be applauded for. This is a wonderful review. Well done!
Nkululeko Dumisa

Post by Nkululeko Dumisa »

Well done. True it was made for children but I am also learning something from this book

Return to “Children's Books”