Review of Tales of Trixie

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Review of Tales of Trixie

Post by AvidBibliophile »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tales of Trixie" by Victor Pietkiewicz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This story is about the joyful sense of fulfillment that comes from adopting a homeless pet. Brix, a small tabby cat at a local animal shelter, dreams of being adopted by a new family, but she is too shy and hesitant to confidently approach any of the strangers who often come to visit. She watches as her friend Compton gets adopted, and she desperately wishes for a similar outcome. When one visiting couple proceeds to comfort her with gentle hugs, she can’t help but give into several purrs of contentment. When that same couple then gives her a fresh start in a new home, she soon receives a new name and a new lease on life.

Tales of Trixie: A Very Special Cat is a children’s book written by Victor Pietkiewicz. Trixie quickly becomes quite a pampered pet, and as she begins to roam curiously about the house, she starts to explore her new world with an awe-inspiring sense of wonder. She sleeps on the dining room table, slides comically across the floor, and spends most of her days happily perched on a breezy, sunlit windowsill. One day, she meets a squishy little gecko named Pete, and she soon learns the meaning of everlasting friendship.

I enjoyed seeing many comedic and light-hearted moments described throughout this book. The heartwarming dialogue was complemented by several colorful illustrations, and illustrator Jeanine-Jonee provided some expressively captivating depictions. The digital illustrations brought the various character personalities to life. They showed Trixie’s initial trip home from the shelter, and they provided visual depictions of her new home and all of its creature comforts.

The story was 45 pages long and was separated into chapters. The chapters loosely divided Trixie’s life into four separate chunks of time. There were quite a few words typed on each page, but the simple terminology made this storyline easy to follow and comprehend. I feel this book would be appropriate for kids between the ages of 4 and 7. Young readers would likely be able to pick up on all of the feelings of nervous anxiety, anticipation, excitement, and relief, and they’d enjoy seeing Trixie’s eventful exposures to new people, new trucks, new smells, and new friends.

I did encounter several minor grammatical errors with commas while reading, but there were no misspelled words or typographical mistakes that significantly disrupted my reading flow or my overall enjoyment of the story. The punctuation typos were the only aspect of this book I disliked. Due to the presence of the grammatical errors, I award the current version of this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. All of the mistakes could easily be corrected with a quick revision.

Since this tale was based on a true story about a tabby cat the author and his wife adopted many years ago, it held a meaningful sentimentality. The plot would likely resonate with anyone who has suffered the loss of a beloved pet, and I would recommend this children’s book to young readers who like illustrated short stories full of memorable animal adventures and lasting connections!

Tales of Trixie
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

What a joy it was for Brix to be a part of a family again and finding a new friend in Pete. Thanks for the review.
AvidBibliophile

Mbenma Esther 080 wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 23:49 What a joy it was for Brix to be a part of a family again and finding a new friend in Pete. Thanks for the review.
Shelter pets deserve loving homes too, so I was definitely glad this sweet kitty got to experience all that life had to offer, and Pete was a real character for sure! Thank you for the sweet words! 🐱🦎
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Your review is superb, I loved the way you described the story. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

I still maintain that cats are cute☺️. This book sounds so cool. Thanks for the review
AvidBibliophile

Niens Now wrote: 08 Oct 2021, 02:31 Your review is superb, I loved the way you described the story. Thanks for a great review.
I greatly appreciate your complimentary words of support about this children’s book! Thank you 📖
AvidBibliophile

Edit_or wrote: 08 Oct 2021, 03:01 I still maintain that cats are cute☺️. This book sounds so cool. Thanks for the review
Thanks so much, and cats are often cute characters indeed! Trixie definitely brought joy to this couple’s life! 🐈
Rovika Sundaram
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rovika-sundaram.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rovika Sundaram »

Wonderful review! The book cover itself will attract the readers for sure. I'm excited to know how Trixie explores her world. Also, I'm very glad that the author wrote this story for his pet.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
AvidBibliophile

Rovika Sundaram wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 11:07 Wonderful review! The book cover itself will attract the readers for sure. I'm excited to know how Trixie explores her world. Also, I'm very glad that the author wrote this story for his pet.
Thank you! The sweet book cover definitely sets the tone for the heartwarming antics within, and the author did a great job of honoring the memories of his own rescue cat with these stories about Trixie! 🐈
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

As animal lover this novel is very heartwarming to me. I'm glad Brix was able to find a loving home and caring friends! Lovely review! :D
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

So it is true that the pet really chooses its owner! I would love to read the book since it brings back some memories. Lovely review!
AvidBibliophile

Rashawn Carter wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 13:34 As animal lover this novel is very heartwarming to me. I'm glad Brix was able to find a loving home and caring friends! Lovely review! :D
I’m definitely an animal lover too, so this sweet book cover immediately caught my eye! When ‘shelter’ Brix became Trixie with a new home, my heartwarming wishes were complete! Thank you for the sweet words of support for this kitty. 🐱
AvidBibliophile

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 14:47 So it is true that the pet really chooses its owner! I would love to read the book since it brings back some memories. Lovely review!
Pets do seem to have their own distinct preferences and desires, so the kind couple in this book certainly won Trixie over! Thank you for the support, my friend. 🦋
RetiredOBNurse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RetiredOBNurse »

I am so happy Brix found a new home and a new name! Sounds like Trixie had a wonderful life and met some friends too. I believe children will relate to this story of a companion that needs a home and love. Enjoyed your review!
AvidBibliophile

RetiredOBNurse wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 21:36 I am so happy Brix found a new home and a new name! Sounds like Trixie had a wonderful life and met some friends too. I believe children will relate to this story of a companion that needs a home and love. Enjoyed your review!
Brix went from being hesitant and fearful to curious and content in her new home as “Trixie,” so she definitely found her happy ending in the arms of a couple who loved her very much. She also found a friend in Pete, so I think many kids will enjoy this story of second chances and companionship! 😻🦎 Thank you.

Return to “Children's Books”