Review of The fantastic adventures of Alex in the broccoli forest

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Review of The fantastic adventures of Alex in the broccoli forest

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The fantastic adventures of Alex in the broccoli forest" by paul insel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are healthy foods boring? Young Alex discovers that they are anything but in the informative book The Fantastic Adventures of Alex in the Broccoli Forest, written by Paul Insel and illustrated by Richard Becker.

This fun and colorful educational story was written for the California Institute of Human Nutrition. While children are the target audience, adults can learn from the book too.

The story features a young boy named Alex who meets foods with different nutritional qualities while he is at the grocery store. The foods he meets include bread, dairy products, fruits, and vegetables, including carrots and broccoli. Each food describes its nutrients and how they can help nourish and energize the body for optimal health.

There was nothing that I disliked about the book. It is appropriate for children of all ages. I enjoyed the colorful pictures. The text was bold and easy to read. The little adventure that Alex goes on while learning about different foods is both entertaining and informative. The book was professionally edited. I found no errors in the text.

An aspect of the book that I genuinely appreciated was something that it didn’t have. There was no size-shaming, and that was wonderful to see. People of all sizes should be allowed to read about good nutrition without being told that they should be ashamed of their bodies.

It is especially important that children of all sizes can learn about taking good care of their bodies without feeling like they have anything to be ashamed of. Thus, what the authors didn’t include is as important as all the excellent information that they included.

I recommend this book for anyone who wants to teach children in their lives about good nutrition in a fun, non-judgmental way. This would be a terrific book for early childhood and elementary educators to include in their classrooms. I give The Fantastic Adventures of Alex in the Broccoli Forest four out of four stars.

The fantastic adventures of Alex in the broccoli forest
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

Eating healthy is advisable for children and I believe this book will be helpful to me in increasing my knowledge as a child educator. Thanks for the review.
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

I'm a new mother, and my toddler despises vegetables. The book appears to be both instructive and entertaining. Great review
Ra Ka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ra-ka.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Ra Ka »

Thanks for the review. It is important to educate children in a gentle and fun way about the importance and benefits of healthy foods, and this book does the right thing
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Susan Gibbs »

The idea of a broccoli forest drew me to this review. It sounds like the author has found an entertaning way to talk about healthy foods. I would consider buying this book based on the review.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

Educating kids about eating healthy food is a continuous struggle, especially when they see sweets, chocolates, chips and junk food in all supermarkets and food stores and when they see their peers eating unhealthy food. Thus, this book really sounds great as it teaches children about healthy food in form of fiction. Thanks for this nice review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June

Return to “Children's Books”