Review of Why is Mommy Crying?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Why is Mommy Crying?

Post by Guda Lydia »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Why is Mommy Crying?" by I. Cori Baill MD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Has your child ever asked you where babies come from? Do you constantly wonder how to explain pregnancy loss to your young ones? Max and his stuffed monkey Minx woke up in the middle of the night. Since he is usually not afraid of the dark, he decided to walk to his parent’s bedroom for a cuddle. On the way, he saw his mother sitting on a rocking chair, staring into the night.

She was crying, and that alarmed Max. He carefully approached and immediately asked where she hurt herself. After Max had ascertained the origin of mom’s pain was not physical, he patiently asked for an explanation. Mom began by carefully explaining the origin of babies and gently transitioned to explaining pregnancy loss and the pain that comes with it. She also put Max’s fears to rest by addressing all his follow-up questions and concerns.

Why is Mommy Crying? by I. Cori Baill and illustrated by Heather Bell is a heartwarming children’s book. Large, multicolored, and detail-oriented pictures characterize each page. For instance, nighttime is easily perceivable due to the depiction of the moon and stars outside Max’s bedroom window, and the bright rising sun shows the beginning of the day. The details bring out a picture of a home, including proudly displayed crayon drawings from Max, various house decorations, and a well-stocked mini-library.

My favorite aspect of this lively read is the lessons embedded in the story. Max ensures to knock before entering his parent’s bedroom, teaching courtesy. When he sees Mommy crying, he immediately offers a Band-Aid to soothe her physical hurt, instilling basic first aid techniques. Additionally, the book emphasizes the importance of expressing emotions. When Mommy is sad, tears freely fall, and she clearly tells Max that losing the pregnancy made her sad. She then differentiates between physical and emotional pain.

I adore everything about the book, and it lacks any grammatical errors, evidence of its exceptional editing. The sentences are short and simple, making the story suitable for children aged eight and below. The story anchors on Christian beliefs and includes an illustration of God’s hands. However, I believe everyone can benefit from the story, regardless of their faith or non-faith. I happily give this lovely read a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to every parent and guardian who has struggled with explaining grief and loss to the little ones, as well as mental and emotional pain. The approach Cori highlights in the book will leave them content and enlightened. The story equally serves as a suitable bedtime tale.

Why is Mommy Crying?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

Explaining loss and grief to children is usually very difficult. The book will undoubtedly be helpful to a lot of parents. Great review.
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

Awww. I grew up in a household where everything was swept under the rug and children didn't need to hear about grown-up stuff. When I became a mom I tried to be more open with my son, but still couldn't always find the right words. Now that I have a granddaughter this book might help me with that.
-Amy
Carmeleta P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carmeleta-p.html
Latest Review: My Living Will by John Trautwein

Post by Carmeleta P »

We are in a time where nothing is hidden from our children anymore. This book is a must
read for me. Thank you for your review.
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

OMG I can't image Mommy's anguish, but I'm also impressed by how, despite her agony, she explained the pregnancy and loss to Max and continued to console him. The book appears to be filled with a wide range of feelings. I'll put it on my to-read list without hesitation. Great review
Ra Ka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ra-ka.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Ra Ka »

Thanks for the review. An interesting and useful book for children at the same time, as it is full of large and multi-colored pictures, in addition to the lessons included in the story and explaining the meaning of losing a pregnancy
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

It can be hard to honestly and accurately explain sensitive topics to young ones without overwhelming them (or you!). It sounds like this book handles this situation well. Thank you for an excellent review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Sulley jessica
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sulley jessica »

Max, the caring child who loves his mom,it also teaches manners so children can learn something from this

Return to “Children's Books”