Review of The bubble

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho
fav_author_id: 1746

Review of The bubble

Post by Josephe-Anne »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The bubble" by Joseph Patenaude.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Encompassing the themes of nature, ecology, and conservation, The Bubble by Joseph Patenaude is a visual delight! This gorgeously illustrated children’s book features colorful artwork from Mauro Lirussi. As a bubble is blown by a pair of children playing, a journey begins for the sentient ball of air. Rising into the sky, the bubble finds itself floating across cities, forests, and seas. All the while, it marvels at the natural world around it. In doing so, it reminds us to stop and smell the roses and to take notice of the beauty that our planet has to offer. Children and adults alike will find something to enjoy as they flip through the pages of this masterpiece.

As I mentioned, this storybook is wonderfully illustrated. The cover image hints at what lies within. It features the giant bubble surrounded by butterflies and trees in a grassy field. The dark blue font displays the book’s title in a clear and artistic manner. Mr. Patenaude’s writing style is vivid and poetic as he describes the bubble’s adventures from one scene to the next. Every illustration corresponds with the text printed on it. There is no offensive content whatsoever, and I did not find a single error.

In addition to the visually appealing images, the story is simple and easy to follow. There are a few advanced vocabulary words that parents may need to explain, but the text is otherwise suitable for young children. I really like the main message in the book. It teaches kids to have an appreciation for all types of flora and fauna by showcasing different habitats. There are also underlying messages about conservation and climate change, but they are not overt or forceful.

There wasn’t much to dislike about this publication. I only have one comment to make about the premise of the story. The bubble was described as a sentient being with the ability to see and think. It was consistently called “he” in the book, which seemed a bit strange to me. I didn’t mind the bubble floating around and making observations, but I took issue with this sentence: “The bubble, afraid of the smashing sky and booming sounds all around him, closed his eyes and hid his face in water.” The bubble was not drawn with eyes in any of the pictures, so there was an inconsistency there.

Nevertheless, I have chosen to award The Bubble by Joseph Patenaude a rating of four out of four stars. There is an ethereal, fairytale feel to this story. It blends in nicely with the feeling of wonder that children experience when seeing things for the first time. I would highly recommend this book to any aspiring young naturalist, biologist, or conservationist. I would also recommend it to parents who are hoping to instill a love of nature in their children. Art enthusiasts will appreciate the paintings within.

The bubble
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

This seems an amazing children's book with wonderful themes of nature, ecology and conservation. I would love to read it. Thanks for the great review.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Sounds so enchanting. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Ra Ka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ra-ka.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Ra Ka »

Thanks for the beautiful review. The cover of the wonderful book shows content that contributes to children's awareness of nature, what is inside it, and how to preserve it
Autty marie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Autty marie »

it seems to be a good book to look into for family’s. it has a lot of meaning.
Ivvie Ivanova
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading: Beyond Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivvie-ivanova.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Spanish Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ivvie Ivanova »

It might be a children's book but I've found a new appreciation for them now that I'm in my 20s. I will pick this up for myself to enjoy! Thank you for your review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Thank you for this lovely review! The name makes me think about a darker, sci-fi series, though :).
Allexis Smith
Currently Reading: The bubble
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Allexis Smith »

This story is fun to read to younger kids that enjoy adventure and overcoming fears
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like an interesting adventure. I would love to float about, appreciating the different habitats, but riding in a sentient bubble may take some getting used to. :D
Thank you for a beautiful review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Susan Gibbs »

I think this sounds like an entertaining and enjoyable book. It's quite a unique idea to have the bubble fly off and have adventures and to use this to teach children various lessons on nature, ecology, and conservation. An educational and fun book.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Eliezhana Thomas
Currently Reading: The bubble
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Eliezhana Thomas »

The Bubble seems like a good books for the children as it provided moral values and bring awareness to the youngsters how important it is to be educated in taking care of our home, which is the Earth.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

This looks like quite an intriguing plot. Would definitely love to have this one on my shelf. Great review.

Return to “Children's Books”