Review of The Dakota Stone

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of The Dakota Stone

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Dakota Stone" by Woweqe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Dakota Stone is a children’s book written by Woweqe, a member of the Coast Salish community. The Coast Salish story-telling tradition typically employs the spoken word, but in The Dakota Stone, Woweqe seeks to share Coast Salish storytelling with a wider public audience. The Dakota Stone tells the story of a child named Dakota and a terrible event that happens at the beginning of time. Dakota and her people are turned into different animals to survive, but Dakota is separated from her parents. Dakota embarks on a journey by herself that makes her grow in many different ways. The Dakota Stone is thirty pages, half of which include only illustrations.

Multiple aspects of The Dakota Stone make it an important read for readers both young and old. Mainstream media does not typically highlight Indigenous authors, so introducing readers to Woweqe’s work provides an insightful cultural perspective. Additionally, themes related to love, coming of age, parent-child relationships, and making responsible decisions are timely and applicable to all children, no matter their cultural background.

Moreover, the universal messages found in this book are bolstered by the engaging illustrations. The illustrators, eelonqa K harris and Jason Roberts, are also members of the Coast Salish community, and the unique nature of the full-page images evokes strong emotions that align with Woweqe’s themes. For example, the illustrations employ photographs of outdoor settings juxtaposed against drawings. This mixed-media approach adds depth to the illustrations, recalls the Coast Salish culture, and imbues the story with a sense of magic.

There was absolutely nothing I disliked about this book, and I found the narrative to be perfectly edited and free of any errors. Moreover, I think this book is an essential read for families looking to explore the parent-child relationship and gain exposure to marginalized communities. The Dakota Stone easily earns 4 out of 4 stars. This book is the first in a planned series, and I look forward to reading more of Woweqe’s stories.

Children of varying ages will easily be engaged by The Dakota Stone. Children between the ages of three and five will find joy in the simplest meaning of this story, the magical elements, and the vividly colored and complex illustrations. Older children will find the layered meaning about growing up and finding one’s own path insightful. Additionally, the narrative is full of Coast Salish history, told in simplistic form, which adult readers who are interested in other cultures will find interesting.

The Dakota Stone
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
dumbbunny
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dumbbunny »

I don't usually read children's books but this one sounds interesting. Thanks for the review.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

Have always been a great fan of children’s books. Great review here.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

This looks very interesting. It's also one of my favourite genres so I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for the review!
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

I'm excited to track the development of Dakota's character. Great review, thanks!^^
Avishi
Currently Reading: all body bags and no knickers
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishi.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade
Reading Device: Pdf

Post by Avishi »

The name Dakota is nice to hear.. It appears to be a fantastic read, despite the fact that there are only a few pages. However, because it is brief and accurate, it would be ideal for children's bedtime stories. The illustrations will also appeal to children. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Children's Books”