Review of My Lonely Dolly

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Review of My Lonely Dolly

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Lonely Dolly" by Vanessa Adelaide.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Technology has taken over almost all areas of human life. Today, children play less and less with toys and spend more and more time on mobile phones and tablets. My Lonely Dolly by Vanessa Adelaide is a children’s book about toys that children have neglected because they spend most of their time on electronic devices.

The book describes the daily life of neglected toys in a toy box. Amy and Jimmy have completely forgotten about toys since they got iPads. The toys wait every day for things to go back to normal and for Amy and Jimmy to remember them. The reader further learns whether the toys will remain closed in the box or the children will start playing with them again.

The book is very instructive, and I think most children can identify with Amy and Jimmy. I like the way the author warns of the potential dangers of the overuse of technology. Vanessa Adelaide emphasizes the importance of toys, especially the traditional ones that help children socialize with other children. Moreover, the illustrations depicting the plot of the story are very interesting and unusual and were probably drawn by a child.

As for the negative elements, I have almost nothing to emphasize. The only complaint I have relates to the decorative part on the pages of the book where the text is. It seems a bit impersonal and boring compared to other hand-drawn illustrations. It would have been better if that part had also been drawn by some child, as this would have given it greater authenticity.

All things considered, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. The book is unique, fun but also instructive. The rating would have been perfect if the design on the pages with the text had been a bit more original. The book seems exceptionally well edited because I did not come across any errors. I think the book would be ideal for preschoolers. I would also recommend this book to all parents of younger children to read it to their children at least as a bedtime story.

My Lonely Dolly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

This looks very interesting. It's also one of my favourite genres so I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for the review!
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I like the sound of this book. If the pics are good, my nephew will enjoy them. Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Cindy Roxie
Currently Reading: Chameleons
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cindy Roxie »

I’m intrigued by this I think it would also describe my childhood life and make me relate to all this.
Nompumelelo N 27
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nompumelelo N 27 »

I can enjoy this book if ican read it infront of those children this book warn us about giving babies phones we said technology is good for our community.dolly was good for our children they even to talk,communicate you knw why doll became thei best friend like a really person to them you find them talk with dolly they give dolly a beautifully name they ask do you want food, do you wish to take bath with me .with dolly they learn even how they must take care of their own babies when they growing up ilove even the book cover yeah make you wish to open it
Ethan Howe
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ethan-howe.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ethan Howe »

Technology has taken over our day to day life in all aspects. This book seems informative about it's dangers to children.

Return to “Children's Books”