Review of On my way home

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of On my way home

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "On my way home" by Joseph Trencher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Joseph Trencher's On My Way Home, a boy called Amen embarked on an adventure, searching for treasure. Amen was born into a poor background. His father had lost his job as a cleaner in the sultan's palace. When a mysterious 'old man' told him of a treasure to be found and promised him an equal share, Amen thought of how such a treasure would change his life and wasted no time agreeing. A journey through a cave led Amen to a new world where he met strange characters, faced new problems, and must use his wits to ensure he found his way home.

There was a simplicity to the way this story was narrated. The plot unfolded effortlessly and required no stress at all to follow. At the same time, the story was not devoid of either suspense or intrigue. From the mysterious 'old man' to a child protagonist, the book created much anticipation.

Trencher created a variety of characters that were interesting and endearing. Amen, the protagonist, for instance, excited me with his peculiar way of naming people according to their trade. He called the milk seller 'Milk' and his son 'Milk Jnr,' the baker he called 'Baker,' and the fruit seller he called 'Fruits.' I found it humorous, and other readers might laugh over it as well.

I wondered at the author's choice of a protagonist and why he decided to use a child instead of an adult. Whatever his reasons were, it was adequate for the contrast it created. One would generally expect a child to be scared in the face of danger. But the fearful braveness of Amen was heartwarming. Additionally, his character employed simple information he acquired in his daily life and turned to wisdom gems on his treasure hunt. As a result of this, I saw him as wise and resourceful for a boy his age.

Through Amen's journey, we discovered the precious gift of home, even if it was an arid, sandy plain or built with gold. The author showed readers that, sometimes, what was needed to alter one's negative views about what they have could be a change of perspective.

Another valuable lesson that the author passed through this book was self-acceptance. The author posited that this was the only way happiness could be found. Essentially, happiness wouldn't be bought with gold or given by another but found deep within.

Amen's journey also showcased the differences in humanity and our worlds. Every geographical location differed in its culture, color, and history. I saw humanity held together even in diversity by love, family, and duty.

This book was the type that readers could repeatedly read because it was just a fun read. There was nothing in this book that I did not like. The editing was exceptional, as I couldn't find an error. Children of the same age bracket as the protagonist (8 to 12) could enjoy the storyline. I'd also recommend it to youngsters and readers who love adventure. Finally, I’d rate On My Way Home 4 out of 4 stars.

On my way home
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

As I love adventurous stories I might like this but as the reviewer has suggested it is good for youngsters so I'll skip this one. Thanks for the review.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I think I could like this book myself! It doesn't hurt to read a children's book, from time to time. Thank you for the review!
Julius J James
Currently Reading: Herculubus or Red Planet
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-james-1.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Julius J James »

While searching for a treasure Amen never step back. An old man told him of a lost one,suddenly he continues the adventure without giving up. Despite the challenges and difficulties he decides to make his way home. Amen is a brave,courageous and fearless person. I love the review!
Timothee22
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: David Schwarzkopf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothee22.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 248826

Post by Timothee22 »

Amen showed courage. This is a trait needed for all children. Thanks for the review.
Tim Toby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tim-toby.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Tim Toby »

This is a good review.. I don't mind reading this myself, I like adventures
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

Amazing character and characterization. Well-done on your review. Thank you.

Return to “Children's Books”