Review of The Elephant(s) in the Room

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Review of The Elephant(s) in the Room

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Elephant(s) in the Room" by Denny Laake and Monica Laake Beavers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As soon as I opened the book, the imagined aroma of the roasted peanuts had me grabbing a Baby Ruth candy bar—at that very moment, I knew this story was a winner. It’s packed to the brim with humor, mystery, and attitude.

The authors, Denny Laake and Monica Laake Beavers, created a new and witty children's series, entitled Another Sammy the Weasel Story. This book is the third installement and can be read as a standalone.

In The Elephant(s) in the Room, Kramer the Dog tries to convince his friend, Sammy the Weasel, that elephants are roaming inside the house. Together, they embark on a detective adventure to solve this mystery. Are there any elephants in the house? Or is it just a mouse? Sorry, I can’t give out the answer without spoilers. However, this interactive fiction will have audiences engaged in no time.

Laake and Beavers didn’t need numerous pages to build their characters. Sammy and Kramer’s personalities are expertly written, and I fell in love with them instantly. Kramer is a shy Shanuzer yet seems to be the more observant of the two. Despite that, he loyally follows his friend. While Sammy, convinced of his keenness, misses the most obvious clues. The resultant effect is side-splitting laughter at their exploits. Needless to say, Sammy and Kramer’s quirks were my favorite feature of the book.

In children’s stories, precise vocabulary is key. There isn’t ample time to slowly build the characters. For this reason, the writing style is another major positive aspect. The word choices are spot-on and bring out the persona of our furry investigators. Also, the book could be useful for younger readers wanting to raise their vocabulary level. Additionally, the lexical level is perfect for an intermediate reader. Although, a gifted beginner could decode most words with marginal assistance. The plotline is filled with unexpected and exciting events. The diversity of the animals is a plus; I would have never thought to pair a weasel with elephants.

The full-spread illustrations are done by Monica Laake Beavers, who is one of the authors. The color palette contains soft and dark tones that help reveal the text. Moreover, the artwork slightly resembles three-dimensional cutouts. I liked this aspect because it reminded me of a paper theater.

I found absolutely nothing to dislike; as such, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Moreover, the book is professionally edited with only one reported typo. A lower rating would be a felony.

This is a wonderful story for a read-aloud session; therefore, I recommend educators include it in book fairs. Also, anyone who loves odd characters will have a blast with Sammy the Weasel. After a hard day’s work, the uplifting humor makes it a good read for parents with their children. I do not recommend this book to those suffering from pachydermophobia.

The Elephant(s) in the Room
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

Sound like a great book for children. Will definitely read it to my little brother and tell you guys more about it. Thanks for the review.
Samuel Adeposi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Samuel Adeposi »

Looks more like a book readable for children, primarily. I Will be interested in reading it, though I'm a teenager, sounds great.....
Thank you for the review
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Shivansh_007 wrote: 10 Nov 2021, 01:49 Sound like a great book for children. Will definitely read it to my little brother and tell you guys more about it. Thanks for the review.
I hope your brother likes it! Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Samuel Adeposi wrote: 10 Nov 2021, 03:25 Looks more like a book readable for children, primarily. I Will be interested in reading it, though I'm a teenager, sounds great.....
Thank you for the review
It seems to reach a wide audience. I'm an adult and it made me laugh. Thanks for your comment!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I love it when books evoke smells or images in your brain. They certainly are special! Thank you for this entertaining review!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I am excited by the review. I cannot imagine how captivated the target audience will be! Great review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Fransisca Ekezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fransisca-ekezie.html
Latest Review: Surviving Chaos by Harold Phifer

Post by Fransisca Ekezie »

I don't think I can quit reading children's book there's this sweet feeling one get when reading them, specifically me when I read animal stories not to talk of the once with adventure and mystery it takes me back to my childhood and all those fantasies.
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Susan Gibbs »

I was drawn to this review because of the title of the book. This sounds like an entertaining book filled with cute characters. I like the idea of them trying to solve the mystery as to whether or not there are elephants in the house. This is an excellent review.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Susan Gibbs wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 08:54 I was drawn to this review because of the title of the book. This sounds like an entertaining book filled with cute characters. I like the idea of them trying to solve the mystery as to whether or not there are elephants in the house. This is an excellent review.
The title played on me as well. Thanks for your comment.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Fransisca Ekezie wrote: 20 Nov 2021, 03:51 I don't think I can quit reading children's book there's this sweet feeling one get when reading them, specifically me when I read animal stories not to talk of the once with adventure and mystery it takes me back to my childhood and all those fantasies.
I'm definitely on your side about your view on children's books. :D Thanks for your comment.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Nqobile771 wrote: 17 Nov 2021, 06:34 I am excited by the review. I cannot imagine how captivated the target audience will be! Great review.
I hope they have a blast. Thanks for your comment.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 14 Nov 2021, 12:57 I love it when books evoke smells or images in your brain. They certainly are special! Thank you for this entertaining review!
Me too, this one made me hungry! Thanks for your comment.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

Sounds great. I liked the cover so much so I am sure I will like the book's illustrations as well. Detective fiction is always entertaining for all ages. I am sure my 5 years daughter will find it entertaining as well. Thanks for the great review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

The book seems like a mysterious book filled with humour and adventures. I would love to read the book. Good review.

Return to “Children's Books”