Review of The Adventures of Chloe the Yaaasss Cat

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachael S 1
Currently Reading: Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachael-s-1.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Review of The Adventures of Chloe the Yaaasss Cat

Post by Rachael S 1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Adventures of Chloe the Yaaasss Cat" by Juleen Barnes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Adventures of Chloe the YAAASSS Cat by Juleen Barnes is a children’s book that follows the story of a black kitten named Chloe as she learns to face whatever difficulties life throws at her.

The author takes Chloe on several journeys to face the many challenges that face her. Chloe must learn to climb a tall wall and a tall tree while facing her fears. Chloe must also learn to make new friends both at home and at the vet’s office. Finally, Chloe must learn self-discipline so as not to scratch up and jump on the furniture. These adventures, and many more, are used to show that we must take a stance at whatever difficult circumstances are thrown our way.

The instruction begins with an explanation of what a YAAASSS woman is and how to become her. A YAAASSS woman is a strong and powerful woman who is a Yearner, an Accomplisher, and able to be Assertive, Astute, Self-Confident, Self-disciplined, and Self-determined. The author takes this acronym and applies it to all the adventures Chloe goes through.

At the beginning of each of the stories, the author lists the characteristics she intends to introduce to the reader. The story shows Chloe facing an obstacle relating to that characteristic and learning to overcome it. For instance, with regards to the characteristic of Self-discipline, the author shows Chloe as a young kitten who enjoys scratching furniture and jumping up on the couch, to her owner’s dismay. The author then takes the opportunity to explain to the reader what the problem was and how Chloe was able to overcome the obstacle. I really enjoyed how this was done, especially since it is a book intended for young children. The reader is able to connect the story from beginning to end.

I enjoyed the artwork throughout the book. It was very colorful and happy. The pictures throughout the book reflected the story that was being told. For instance, when Chloe was gaining her determination to jump a tall wall, the pictures depict Chloe staring down the wall, but the inside of her eyes reflects the wall she is staring down.

I enjoyed reading this story. There was nothing I did not like. I did not find any grammatical or spelling errors in this book and I believe this story was professionally edited. I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I was impressed by the author’s skill at connecting the dots from the beginning of the story to the end. This book would be perfect for parents wanting to teach their children about self-esteem and to never give up on their goals. I would recommend this book to children under the age of twelve.

The Adventures of Chloe the Yaaasss Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

This book sounds perfect for my daughter. She is always hesitant about trying new things and fears that she won't be able to do it right. A lot of encouragements are needed for that. I think this book will assist me in my trials to increase her self-esteem, especially that she really gets affected by stories. Her younger brother will most probably like it too as the cover depicts a cat. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June

Return to “Children's Books”