Review of Doctoroo! & the Case of the Hacking Hippo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
peace_m
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-m.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Review of Doctoroo! & the Case of the Hacking Hippo

Post by peace_m »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Doctoroo! & the Case of the Hacking Hippo" by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kids spend a lot of time on the playground, and most times, they go on with their normal daily activities after playing. That is terrible hygiene. Doctoroo! & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Rachel B. Wellner is a 39-page children's book series that seeks to educate kids on proper hygiene.

Dr. Marsha, popularly known as Doctoroo, got a message about Hilda being sick. That was very unfortunate as Hilda was expected to perform for Queen Harriet of England. Doctoroo and his team consisting of Louis, Kirby, and Terence went to the Sydney Opera House to check out the situation. They assessed the situation and looked for all possible causes of the illness, even to the point of interrogating other animals at the Sydney Opera House. Not finding any reason, they were left confused on how to go about the situation. That was not until they saw Hilda step into the mud pool, have fun in it, and step out. With this, Doctoroo ascertained the cause of the problem. What do you think the cause is? How do you presume Doctoroo would deal with this situation? Grab a copy of this book to find out.

The author had the audience in mind because she wrote the book in the present tense. It was as if she was telling a folktale. The book contained very colorful pictures and excellent illustrations that further portrayed the author's message. The book's title was also very catchy, and the diction used was very simple. The story was concise and only intended to pass the necessary message across. That made the book more exciting and entertaining.

The primary aim was to educate the children on hygiene, and the author did not fall short in this role. The author used the story to inform readers of proper hygienic mistakes that affect our general health and well-being. These activities include playing with mud and exposing oneself to germs and microorganisms that, of course, cannot be seen with bare eyes. She did not stop there but went on to prescribe solutions and modes of prevention.

The book taught about cleanliness and that individuals should learn to wash their hands regularly, especially when exposed to dirty things or after activities such as using the toilet, playing, gardening, and interacting with people. The author described how individuals should wash their hands to wash off germs properly.

The responses from Steven, Patti, and Geoffrey when Dr. Marsha and her team questioned their cleanliness were kind of funny. Also, Dr. Marshal was calm and not bossy. I admired the kind-hearted relationship she shared with the group. The book also mentioned specific places such as the Sydney Opera House and a little of its origin and description, which was very educative.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book, and there was nothing to dislike about it. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for its perfection. It was beautifully and excellently written. The book created awareness and helped spread the benefits of keeping good health habits to readers. That was impactful. Also, this is a well-edited book because I noticed only one grammatical error.

I recommend this book to young children between the ages of 6 and 10 years. Parents can also read this book to younger children of 4 years and below as a folktale. Teachers and school owners could also get this book to educate their pupils on proper hygiene.

Doctoroo! & the Case of the Hacking Hippo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

This book sounds great. I really admire children books that convey important messages such as hygiene in a clear and funny way. Children can learn from stories in a better way than instructing them all day long. I liked also that it included information about the opera House in Australia as kids can learn about different countries and monuments from stories.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
peace_m
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-m.html

Post by peace_m »

Sarah Sonbol wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 04:09 This book sounds great. I really admire children books that convey important messages such as hygiene in a clear and funny way. Children can learn from stories in a better way than instructing them all day long. I liked also that it included information about the opera House in Australia as kids can learn about different countries and monuments from stories.
Thank you for stopping by.
Sia P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-p.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sia P »

I believe the children will enjoy this book because it features lovely illustrations. I truly enjoyed the message that the author was attempting to express through this book about hygiene. Thanks for a wonderful review!
queen anirah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queen-anirah.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by queen anirah »

This is a great book that teaches personal hygiene and the dangers of living a dirty life. I would recommend reading this book as it has engaging pictures and everything.
jomana_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jomana-3.html

Post by jomana_3 »

I've read another book from this series, and I loved it a lot. I can't wait to read this one. Nice review.
readingswithsoso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingswithsoso.html
Latest Review: The Prophecy of the Heron by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by readingswithsoso »

The author had the audience in mind because she wrote the book in the present tense. It was as if she was telling a folktale
I hadn't thought of that while reading it. Very well noticed!
Domeseo Camus Meda
Currently Reading: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domeseo-camus-meda.html
Latest Review: The Beautiful Business by Steven Morris

Post by Domeseo Camus Meda »

A BOOK BY DR RACHEL B WELLNER THAT TELLS THE STORY OF DOCTORO WHO FINALLY DETERMINED THAT LACK OF HYGIENE WAS THE CAUSE OF HILDA'S DISEASE.
A BOOK FOR CHILDREN FROM 6 TO 10, PARENTS, SCHOOL OWNERS IN ORDER TO EDUCATE ON GOOD HYGIENE.GOOD REVIEW
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 85675
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1325%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Book 📚📚📚📚📚📖📖 of the day BOTD is children's genre Dr..help solve mysteries all over the world so one day Dr. Received a letter from Hilda who is a dancer at Opera house she is asking for help because she keeps getting sick and she is worried that it would affect her performance..this book series is amazing for kids doctoroo help kids learn the important of cleanines in fun performance it was well written and reviewed I will recommend it 💯✅
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a very entertaining children's book highlighting animal doctors traveling to Australia to aid a singing Hippo, and educate children on proper hygiene. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I love that Doctoroo was speedy on things that need medical help, this time to the sick Hippo. I am glad that Hilda the Hippo was back to health from cough with the help of Dr. Marsha and her team, and that she is able to perform singing to the Queen. Congratulations to the author on BOTD!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Rachel B. Wellner's "Doctoroo! & the Case of the Hacking Hippo" seems like a fun and educational read for kids to learn about hygiene while being entertained. Congratulations on being BOTD!
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

The Doctoroo books keep on getting better and better. I loved how the author puts a fun and educational spin on hygiene which is not an always a pleasant topic to address but an important one. I'm waiting in anticipation to read the next Doctoroo book. Thank you for writing an insightful review. Congrats to the author on BOTD!
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

The Doctoroo books keep on getting better and better. I loved how the author puts a fun and educational spin on hygiene which is not an always a pleasant topic to address but an important one. I'm waiting in anticipation to read the next Doctoroo book. Thank you for writing an insightful review. Congrats to the author on BOTD!
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

The Doctoroo series is focused on various aspects of health and medicine offering important information to children in a way they can understand. This book is focused on hygiene using a funny mystery. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Children's Books”