Review of It's Ok To Be Afraid

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Review of It's Ok To Be Afraid

Post by Eunice Geres »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "It's Ok To Be Afraid" by Kamal.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It's Ok To Be Afraid by Kamal is an illustrated book about helping children understand complex emotions they might feel, like fear. The story also portrays kids calling an adult when they think that something is amiss among their peers.

The story revolves around a kid named Lee. It’s his first day in school since the pandemic has begun. Lee is feeling scared and overwhelmed by all the changes surrounding him. His friends noticed that he’s been reticent, and he didn’t want to play. So, his friends called their teacher, and Lee began to cry while explaining his feelings to his teacher.

From an adult reviewer’s point of view, I find this story to be apt for children and parents alike. Kids would enjoy the illustrations, learn to call for an adult when needed, and know that what they’re feeling is valid. Parents, on the other hand, could learn how to make their children understand their emotions. What I liked most in this story was the guided exercises for educators at the end of the book. It contains questions and activities that parents and educators can use to calm and help children understand their feelings.

If there is something I didn’t like, it would be that I find the story to be too short. I feel like the author could still lengthen the plot without it being too forced. The author could further discuss how Lee coped with his fears while playing and what the other kids thought about the situation. However, even though the story is short, the story never came across as incomplete. For me, what matters is that the story portrayed what the kids should learn, and the guided questions at the end would serve well for the adults.

With all of that said, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I found two grammatical errors, which are not that many. The plot is short, yet the author portrayed the essential moral lesson of the story wonderfully.

I would recommend this to children and adults. I believe children would appreciate the beautiful illustrations, and parents would find the exercises very helpful.

It's Ok To Be Afraid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Alexander C Schmoock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

Teaching children to stay in touch with their emotions is really enlightening. This is a great review. Well done.
Chijindu Ifedigbo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chijindu-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Chijindu Ifedigbo »

The title of the novel captured my attention, the book also contains questions that parents and teachers will use to calm their children feeling. Nice
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

A book with this consept is really required in today's world. Nowadays parents aren't looking after their child properly and this book will teach them some good things. Thanks for the review.
Eva brook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-brook.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by Eva brook »

From your review I understood that this book is very suitable for the time we live in. Coping with emotionas and understanding them it's not easy work, especially for kids. Hope your review convince many to choose this book and help themselves with their emotions. Good luck further.
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Purplesturv »

A timely, informative, book considering the pandemic. It's nice that both children and adults alike will find this book beneficial. Thanks for your informative review
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I like stories addressing different feelings of children and how to overcome negative feelings. Also the idea of the guided exercises is great as not all parents are able to understand the feelings of their kids and how to help them. Thanks for the great review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Ayomide Solomon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ayomide Solomon »

The book actually applies to our today's world and it also recommend remedies for them. This is a nice review

Return to “Children's Books”