Review of Our Champion

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Review of Our Champion

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Our Champion" by Alexander K Lynne.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Karen and Cathy have only one wish for Christmas: They yearn for a puppy. When their wish comes true, the two sisters grasp valuable lessons like how to pick the right breed for their family. Eventually, the girls’ hard work pays off when Alex, the German Shepherd, comes into their lives. They learn more about compassion, teamwork and taking care of a puppy.

Written by Alexander K. Lynne, Our Champion: Alex The German Shepherd is a sweetly illustrated story about love and responsibility.

Two positive features stood out and became favorites of mine: the theme and the illustrations. Lynne did a thorough job of explaining the responsibility of caring for a pet. The story broke down the magnitude of the work needed for the little ones. I was especially worried during Alex’s pool scene which created a bit of suspense; fortunately, it teaches children that animals do get sick.

The illustrations are drawn by Stefanie T. Geyer. The first page features an image of an actual German Shepherd: He could be the real Alex. The most important aspect is that none of the drawings are repeated or “copy-pasted”—I have a problem with that. Thankfully, Geyer kept her work unique and fresh. Alex, Karen and Cathy are in constant action, such as playing in the snow and brushing their teeth. I also enjoyed seeing Alex grow throughout the story.

Lynne's writing style isn’t striking, but it is functional and gets the point across. In its simple way, it is enough to reach the targeted audience which ranges from ages 5 to 9—probably. The vocabulary would be no problem for the upper tier. However, some younger readers may need help with words, such as “temperament” and “concentrated”.

For cosmetic purposes, the format could use some improvement. I disliked the tiny font which strained my eyes. In addition, the Kindle Could Reader didn’t have an option to increase the size. Also, the paragraphs seemed scrunched close, without a line separating them. In all fairness, I didn’t try the tablet version.

Overall, I rate Our Champion: Alex The German Shepherd 4 out of 4 stars. The one dislike I had didn’t seem enough to dock a star. Plus, this little tail was enjoyable. Also, the book seemed to be professionally edited with a few minor errors.

I recommend this book to new pet owners. It would make a great side gift to accompany a canine gift. The plotline is light; therefore, I wouldn’t recommend it to those wanting a story with many conflicts and adventures.

Our Champion
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

The theme of love and responsibility covered in this book is a critical reminder to the very values needed to ensure a continuous human co-existence. Like Karen and Cathy, we are born into this world with a tender heart filled with love and care. Unfortunately, this tender heart is soon stiffened by inordinate desires. We have to learn a lesson from this children story.
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Post by Lucy Vera »

An amazing book with excellent themes. It's nice if children. I think the values discussed in this book are necessary in impacting positive values in the upcoming generation.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I lovely book that would teach kids about team-work and love toward animals! Could be a great gift for little ones this festive season :) Thanks for a great review!
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

Karen and Cathy seem very cute and sweet. Their wish is to have a puppy and when they do, they learn admirable qualities like compassion, teamwork, etc. Thanks for the awesome review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I would love to read this book to my niece, who wants a dog :). Lovely review!
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

The theme of the book is quite inspiring. The author also did a good job in the illustration of the book. Good review.

Return to “Children's Books”