Review of Rusty, The Imaginary Boy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jodeci 007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodeci-007.html
Latest Review: Inspiring Moments by Crystal Holdipp

Review of Rusty, The Imaginary Boy

Post by Jodeci 007 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rusty, The Imaginary Boy" by TJ Harmer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What do you know about imaginary friends, and did you have one as a child? The benefits of imaginary friends for children regarding not just companionship but also improving creativity and social skills are well documented. Rusty, The Imaginary Boy by TJ Harmer is one children's book that explores this aspect of the lives of millions of children, just like the author experienced in her younger years.

Rusty, The Imaginary Boy by TJ Harmer follows nine-year-old Tammy and her imaginary friend, Rusty. Rusty was eleven years old and very intelligent and would always accompany Tammy in all of her activities after school, even boosting with her homework. There was a problem that only Tammy could see Rusty, however. Why was this so? Where was Rusty from?

It was very thoughtful of the author to channel her experience to help explain what makes children with imaginary friends special. Some people find having these imaginary friends odd, but the author has rightly shown that it is great to have one. Also, along with Tammy, Rusty introduces us to delightful creatures that light up this story of friendship. I enjoyed watching the relationship and understanding between both main characters and how helpful Rusty was to Tammy, especially with a lot of problems she couldn't have solved on her own.

Each aspect of the story is depicted through colorful illustrations that I found eye-catching. These illustrations were done by Rosanne Van Der Meer, and I particularly enjoyed the nice touch employed in illustrating Rusty's invisibility. Children will find it very difficult to get their eyes off these beautiful illustrations.

TJ Harmer's Rusty, The Imaginary Boy is an exceptionally well-edited book as well since I did not encounter any errors while reading. I also did not find any aspect of the book I did not like and believe that children will find it easy to relate to the main characters in this fascinating story. Therefore, I rate this book four out of four stars. Children between the ages of five and nine will enjoy reading this book.

Rusty, The Imaginary Boy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Purplesturv »

The book cover is enticing, and the theme of the book is an essential one for children.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

Many children have their imaginary friends. I find this more if the child is an only-child or if there is a big age gap between siblings. I think those children will find the book really interesting. Great review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Post by Vivian Stones »

This book is good for both parents and kids, as the book gives parents prior knowledge of this imaginary friend, it also help the children know that they are not doing something abnormal. Great review.
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

Children will always like to have some imaginary friend with them who can help them in various tasks as well give a continuous company to them throughout the day. The imaginary friend appears to be a matter of conjuring only but children will definitely like such storyline as has been done in this book by the author.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

Imaginary friends from my perspective maybe due to a child's deficiency in social interactions especially with peers... though not a limitation very enlightening review...would like to follow up.....
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

This is a very informative review. I haven't really looked at having imaginary friends as beneficial. The author has done well to bring this information to us in a fun way.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The 2021 Chronicles by A Glenn Rose

Post by Standor5865 »

You did well to illustrate how well you enjoyed this delightful book and the lessons it dishes out. Nice review.
Emmanuel Anyalewechi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pharmemma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Emmanuel Anyalewechi »

This is a truly delightful informative book to read and I will like to read it. Thanks for the review.
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

Imaginary friends? How does that even work? I never had imaginary friends as a kid. Maybe this book has a thing or two to teach me about how imaginary friendships work. I may check this out later.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I never had imaginary friends growing up. I'm eager to see get an insight on this concept. Thank you for the review, I may be adding this to my shelf.
Hussein21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hussein21.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Hussein21 »

This is an interesting book and the idea of having an imaginary friend is scary. Children seem to have a lot of it and it's disturbing because I never had one while growing up
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

Only Tammy could see Rusty? I wonder where Rusty came from. I look forward to finding out, and I'm sure children would be interested in the book as well. Nice review.
Donkey77
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Donkey77 »

I think having a imaginary friend is not bad.some kids have problems with communication so they prefer to talk with imaginary friends.finding a person which understands you might be hard,however you have to try.
Jodeci 007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodeci-007.html
Latest Review: Inspiring Moments by Crystal Holdipp

Post by Jodeci 007 »

Donkey77 wrote: 08 Jan 2022, 12:48 I think having a imaginary friend is not bad.some kids have problems with communication so they prefer to talk with imaginary friends.finding a person which understands you might be hard,however you have to try.
You're definitely correct. This book shows that imaginary friends are a good thing too.

Return to “Children's Books”