Review of Jeremiah's camp out

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Jeremiah's camp out

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jeremiah's camp out" by Inez MccCenton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jeremiah’s camp out by Inez MccClenton is about four boys who have their alone boys' time. On a beautiful Saturday morning, two boys, Malachi and Jeremiah, wake up eager to camp and seize big fishes from the pond. They hurriedly enjoy their breakfast and erect their tent, where they would spend their time.

But camping time is no fun without friends. Eddie joins the duo, and Raheem does so a little later. They need several supplies, and Jeremiah's mom is there for that. Because they’re underage, Uncle Willie decides to accompany them to the camping site. Join them as they spend their time together in this colorfully illustrated book.

Each page has a picture to lure the audience. When Inez talks about catching a big fish, she includes a pictorial. The pond is ocean blue. The trees are forest green, the bicycles and tents are colorful, and each boy is so beautiful that I desired to be there to spend time with them. Also, each boy dresses differently. One wears blue pants, while the other is in shorts. Such unique features made me appreciate the book to the fullest. These are the features I admired.

The book is 30 pages, so kids will not fall asleep reading it had it been a lengthy read. The author employs children’s language; therefore, I did not encounter any hard words that might turn out problematic. When Jeremiah's mom took the boys for a shopping spree, their faces were delightful.

I discovered several things I detested. Consequently, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. Firstly, some pages had punctuation marks, while others did not. The kindle format of the work is even worse because terms are so closely squeezed that you would think three words are one. I recommend professional editing because reading it was a bit hectic. In conclusion, the ending left me at cliffhangers, as I expected more from the boys. I recommend Jeremiah’s camp out to kids between the ages of 4 and 8 years.

Jeremiah's camp out
View: on Bookshelves
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

This is a good way to teach about support to bot children and parents. Children can also learn ways to enjoy themselves. This is a good read. I'll definitely read it.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I love camping and I'm sure I will love the illustration in this book. Pretty sure, nature is so good to look at with these boys. Thanks for your wonderful review, Nick!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Alone time is camp time, sounds like a nice book. With editing it will be better and readable.
I like how you've described the colors of the surroundings and children's clothes. Great review!
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

Since I did not grow up camping a lot, the book piqued my interest on the storyline and characters. I loved how you emphasizes the delight in the boy’s faces when Jeremiah’s mom took them on a shopping spree. It was a pleasure to read your review.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Return to “Children's Books”