Review of The Magnificent Adventures of Folotjing and Friends

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Review of The Magnificent Adventures of Folotjing and Friends

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Magnificent Adventures of Folotjing and Friends" by Rio N. Cortez.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Magnificent Adventures of Folotjing and Friends by Rio N. Cortez is an enchanting picture book that sensitively teaches children about loss and compassion. Folotjing is a Dwendi, "an elfin creature in Filipino folklore." The tiny being is friendly, mischievous, and possesses magical powers. As the story unfolds, Folotjing doesn't allow his small size to prevent him from helping various forest friends, including Re'ynabon and her eaglet, Pag'la'oom.

The 37-page children's book is written and illustrated by Cortez. It is his second book featuring Folotjing and his adventures. The author recommends the story for children ranging from ages seven through twelve, but he emphasizes parental discretion and suggests reading it together to introduce the subject of loss. The book also traverses themes of kindness, compassion, helpfulness, resilience, bravery, and love.

Folotjing may be small in stature, but he exemplifies strength by helping others and making a difference; this subtly powerful message is my favorite aspect of the book. Likewise, it requires an excellent storyteller to navigate a challenging topic like loss and still present a children's book that is fun to read. Cortez nails it by cleverly utilizing fun rhymes and whimsical illustrations; he clearly knows his audience.

It is always a pleasure to review a book with flawless editing. Cortez delivers an error-free book and masterfully combines engaging characters, sensitive themes, and a professional presentation to create a delightful story that teaches and entertains young readers. What's not to like? Additionally, I am unable to highlight any suggestions for improvement.

I am pleased to rate this magical children's book 4 out of 4 stars. It would make a thoughtful gift for a child who has experienced loss. In addition to the targeted audience, I recommend the picture book to parents, caregivers, grandparents, and teachers. However, I reiterate that the author strongly suggests exercising parental discretion with younger children.

The Magnificent Adventures of Folotjing and Friends
View: on Bookshelves
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

This is another book I would love to keep reading. Awesome review.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I think children would love reading this amazing book. Thank you for the review.
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

Children would be delighted to read this book. I love the fact that it is a picture book and that it teaches compassion. Thanks for the review.
cutemami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cutemami.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by cutemami »

Folotjing seems like a genuinely interesting character that will teach children a lot of valuable lessons.
Kehinde Hussein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kehinde-hussein.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Kehinde Hussein »

Filipino folklore seems new and I would love to find out. Nice review!
Essy Nma
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-nma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Essy Nma »

It is nice for parent s to be educated enough with information regarding raising children and this book provides it. Thanks for the review.
Ay Obaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ay-obaj.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ay Obaj »

Thanks for a splendid review. I love this children's book. It seems to contain the right elements for children, and the storyline was perfectly constructed. Many children will definitely enjoy reading this. Kudos to the author for a job well done.
Kings1999
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kings1999.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Kings1999 »

Excellent Children's story, and very beneficial to young ones. I admire the effort the author put into the creation of this. I love the review BTW, it was magnificent.

Return to “Children's Books”