Review of Charlotte’s Shoes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Review of Charlotte’s Shoes

Post by Ekezie1998 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Charlotte’s Shoes" by Alyssa Kent.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How do you deal with the loss of something or someone precious? Do you recline into yourself in solitude, or do you turn to nature? Do you decide to live in a state of constant denial, or do you find mechanisms to cope? Charlotte's Shoes is inspired by the author’s loss of one of her twin babies, Charlotte. Alyssa Kent decides to write a children’s book to help children deal with the concept of loss or absence delicately and simply in a way that they can understand. And she does a perfect job of it.

With illustrations by Sylvia Harvey-Walker, Charlotte’s Shoes is a fiction book with poetic coloring. The narration comes through stanzas with rhyming words at the end of each pair of double lines. It tells the story of Maddie and Charlotte, two best friends who do everything together and can’t be separated. However, a distant job requiring Charlotte’s dad to go far away spells physical separation for both girls. How do they cope? How does Charlotte manage in the absence of her best friend, Maddie? Find out in this exciting Children’s book.

This book deserves nothing less than a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It was exceptionally edited, and I did not come across a single error. I dare say the author was able to achieve her singular purpose in writing this book perfectly. The concept of absence or loss is brought home to the child. More importantly, this book enables us to understand that despite physical separation for whatever reason, two people’s hearts can still be united.

Vitally, we also realize the importance of souvenirs and gifts from those we love. Not only do they have a utilitarian value or serve a particular function most times, but they also serve to remind us of special moments and memories. Through gifts, we can keep those we love close to our hearts, even though we may be physically separated.

The illustrations in this book are near perfect and follow the narrative exceptionally. They are colorful and easily capture the reader’s attention. Additionally, the pictures make the story come alive in the mind of the readers. This book is very brief in length and can be completed in one sitting. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and recommend it to all who want to deal better with the loss and absence of a loved one.

Charlotte’s Shoes
View: on Bookshelves
TheGayOne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thegayone12.html
Latest Review: Tarja Titan by TC Marti

Post by TheGayOne12 »

Sounds like a very important novel with an important message. Fabulous review!
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

The idea of the book is great and is important as well. Children need to learn that loss is always expected. Great review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
JANET SMITH 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-smith-1.html
Latest Review: Souljourner by Paul Steven Stone

Post by JANET SMITH 1 »

Now you have me intrigued. I will read this as soon as possible. It's a horrible thing to lose a child. I'm glad the author found a positive outlet.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

This should be great read. Nice of the author to put together this piece despite her loss.
Beauty Kalu22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-segunjohn.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Beauty Kalu22 »

Wonderful and well detailed review. This book will be very useful to children. I think I'll get this for my younger ones.
Essy Nma
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-nma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Essy Nma »

A great relief is found in this book for someone going through loss. Thanks for the review.
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

Interesting themes, loss and absence. The hurt is too deep. Great to come across this beautiful book, which in itself can be a source of healing and recovery.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: I'll Always Be With You by Violetta Armour

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

This book is perfect for its target audience. It tells a story about loss through the means of separation which is a gentle approach for children.
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

I absolutely agree with the role of souvenirs and gifts in helping to retain fond memories of those we love that are far away from us.
Ay Obaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ay-obaj.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ay Obaj »

Thanks for a splendid review. I love this children's book. It seems to contain the right elements for children, and the storyline was perfectly constructed. Many children will definitely enjoy reading this. Kudos to the author for a job well done.
Kings1999
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kings1999.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Kings1999 »

Excellent Children's book, and very beneficial to young ones. I admire the effort the author put into the creation of this. I love the review BTW, it was magnificent.

Return to “Children's Books”