Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bradley Shelvie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure" by Catherine A. Pepe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The ten-year-old Mary Grace Miller and her family—her brother, Donny, and her father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. Miller respectively—always had a nice time together in Wichita, Kansas. They would severally visit the Sedgwick County Zoo together to see the animals, especially the penguins, which Donny loved seeing and playing with. They also had a wonderful home provided by the church and could do lunch-out picnics and go swimming together. All that changed when both Mr. and Mrs. Miller were sent to do missionary work in Kenya, a country in Africa, by the St. James Episcopal Church. Mary Grace and Donny were very upset that they would have to go to California to stay with their grandparents for the two years their parents would be away. Little did they know there was so much to encounter. Read about their adventures in California in the children's book, Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe.

I loved every story in this book—especially the encounters both Mary Grace and Donny had in California. It was wonderful reading how the Millers always had fun as family, and I loved seeing what unique bond and love they had for each other. They all treated Donny, who had Down's Syndrome, with love and care. After going to California, I enjoyed the cocktail of events the duo (Mary and Donny) went through. They had both good times and bad times. It was amazing seeing Mary Grace solve a mystery, which earned her a place with the Grandma Gang. It was also wonderful how she made friendships quickly with and Penelope Li, a student of Chinese descent, who was in the same class as she in the North Elementary School in California. I also loved how she handled being bullied by Jason.

The book handles the case of how detrimental parents' behaviours can be to their children. Jason, after losing his grandmother, must have felt very hurt. His father, who was inconsiderate of his actions and how they hurt other people, only made Jason worse. Jason would find it normal bullying other students, and he didn't see using hurtful words against others to be a thing. However, I am pleased at how well the teachers handled his case and made him a better boy—a testimony that anyone can change if shown the right direction. Jason even began being friends with Donny, the very person he had been bullying and demeaning.

There's a lot to take from this book. We learn about how children interact, how to treat a child with special needs, being positive like Donny, and the negatives of bullying among others. I rate this book a 4 out of 4. There's no reason to deduct a star since there's nothing I disliked, and I didn't find any errors. Indeed, just like Donny, everyday will be an awesome day to me!

I dedicate this book to children of eight years and above who like novels with a tinge of mystery.

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

It is refreshing to see a disabled child, such as Donny, included in a children's book.
Benedicta1970
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benedicta1970.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Benedicta1970 »

I loved every story in this book,Mary and Donny had both good times and bad times.Nice review
Ay Obaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ay-obaj.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ay Obaj »

Thanks for a splendid review. I love this children's book. It seems to contain the right elements for children, and the storyline was perfectly constructed. Many children will definitely enjoy reading this. Kudos to the author for a job well done.
Sopulu Ezidimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezidimma-01.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sopulu Ezidimma »

Amazing review when i thought Mary and Donny adventure was coming to an end it became more interesting.
Kings1999
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kings1999.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Kings1999 »

Excellent Children's book, and very beneficial to young ones. I admire the effort the author put into the creation of this. I love the review BTW, it was magnificent.
Gift Mazibuko
Favorite Author: Victoria Christopher Murray
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven!
Bookshelf Size: 18
fav_author_id: 27573

Post by Gift Mazibuko »

Incredible childrens book, what I like the most about is the love for each other as a family especially for the special needs child it important that they feel loved and not excluded beautiful review.
jomana_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jomana-3.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by jomana_3 »

I am currently reading this book, and I especially love the bond between Mary Grace and Donny. The book also is a light-hearted read that carries many life lessons for children. Great review.
Annette Boateng
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 331

Post by Annette Boateng »

I love Mr and Mrs Miller's religious life.
David Chijindu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Play Golf Better Faster Handbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-chijindu.html
Latest Review: Finding Our True Identity by Honey Dee

Post by David Chijindu »

I appreciate your excellent review. This children's book is fantastic. The tale was well-written, and it seemed to have the proper aspects for kids. This book will undoubtedly appeal to a lot of kids. The author deserves praise for a job well done.
Mayang Bature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 296
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Living Intentionally by Viterose Van huis

Post by Mayang Bature »

This is a good book for children. The inclusion of Donny, a child with a known disability, as a major character was what I loved the most. I wouldn't have to see more of those.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

It was a very insightful book. Children with disabilities do not often get included in these books. It was refreshing and unique.
Peter Obi 3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-obi-3.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Peter Obi 3 »

This should be listed as a book for everyone because, honestly, it is. Great stuff 👍👍
Faith Ejai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-ejai.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Faith Ejai »

I loved the way you wrote the review. I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for providing this useful information. I'm sure many will love this book.
reviewerbook17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerbook17.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by reviewerbook17 »

This is a wonderful children's book and it contains everything that children would love to read.

Return to “Children's Books”