Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leslie Kunde
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: All Souls Trilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leslie-kunde.html
Latest Review: The Fantastical Keys of Darius Newton Archibank by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Re: Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure

Post by Leslie Kunde »

Your review was fresh and well-written. I enjoyed reading it. I too think there are many lessons to learn in this book. Your summary was thorough and concise. Thank you for your time and thoughts on the book. I am now thinking about getting a copy for my grandkids.
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 554
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

In this beautiful story, the bond of love and affection between the Millers family seems fabulous, and the adventurous attitude of Donny and Mary Grace brings thrilling aspects to this story.
Mary Bircher
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: I'll Stop the World
Bookshelf Size: 732
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-bircher.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mary Bircher »

I'm excited to start this. It might be for children, but as a disabled adult, I really like to see kids with disabilities in books, especially when they're being treated like everyone else. Nice review
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

This book for kids is also perfect for grownups! Donny and Mary Grace inspire me to do my best on a day-to-day basis. A well-written and moral story for everyone. Great review!
Taiwo_Olawoye
Currently Reading: OldEarth Aram Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1femi1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Taiwo_Olawoye »

We all love adventure in life, especially when they are pleasant. This children's book is full of adventure. The missionary family did not initially like their move to California but eventually loved their experience. Thanks for the review.
Chris Agbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub

Post by Chris Agbara »

Thank you for sharing your review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe. I appreciated how you highlighted the family's bond and love for each other and how the book tackles important themes such as treating children with special needs and the negative effects of bullying. I would definitely consider getting this book.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Malgorzata Bernas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malgorzata-bernas.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Malgorzata Bernas »

After reading the review I would definitely read this book quicker than I planned before. The events, through which children are going now, sounds challenging and hard but they get out of them after all
WhiskeySunrise
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by WhiskeySunrise »

Your review is both thorough and thoughtful, and helps one to appreciate the value of this children's book as a shining example of the obstacles and hardships that can be overcome with the love of a family.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

This seems like a wonderful book teaching how parental behaviors affect children. Congrats on BOTD!
Anil G
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-g.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Anil G »

This book seems interesting, on one side there's Jason who's bullying and there's Donny who is a disabled child. Will see how they get along!
A great author communicates to readers through books. - Anil Gupta
Gift Chidex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 224
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift-chidex.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Gift Chidex »

When I read this book it made me understand family love and sacrifice. I would recommend this book to all children aged 7 and above. Congrats on BOTD.
Liza Chulukhadze
Currently Reading: First Survivor
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liza-chulukhadze.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Liza Chulukhadze »

It is hard to go for work out of town and leave children to their grandparents. They must miss each other so much. But it could also be a great experience for them. What are there kids up to in California?
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 607
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 58%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure" by Catherine A. Pepe is a story about the Miller family. The family lived in Wichita, Kansas and enjoyed doing things together. Their lives changed dramatically when the Episcopal church sent the parents to Kenya as missionaries for two years. Donny and Mary were sent to California to stay with their grandparents. The rest of the book followed Donny and Mary to California and the many experiences they had in California. Definitely a good book to read to young children. Very good review.
Miles Mcnairy
Currently Reading: Terms of Service
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Miles Mcnairy »

I am currently reading it and I want to say I can related to this because I have a disability. Love the story and the bond between Mary and Donny. The story is full of love for Donny no matter what he did since he has a disability. There is no anger, resentment, or any mistreatment for him because he has a caring and loving family that always look after him.
Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youngreader720-oluwabukunmiwilliamsoso.html
Latest Review: Swoosh! Shooting the Perfect Shot by Wajeedah Bilal

Post by Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso »

Mary Grace and Donny may not have initially liked the idea of going to stay with their grandparents, but a few adventures awaied them in Carlifornia. This is a book I enjoyed reading.

Return to “Children's Books”