Review of The Goodnight Song

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Review of The Goodnight Song

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Goodnight Song" by Bronwyn Cronin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Goodnight Song by Bronwyn Cronin is a board book written for young children. Begin the journey through a natural setting where readers say goodnight to things like trees, birds, and flowers. The transition of each page carries the storyline through, but you’ll have to read the book to find out what happens!

The title of this book is precise in its meaning. This book is meant to be a song. There is a video and mp3 that accompanies the book. Access to the song is made easy through an online download. The music is composed and arranged by Bronwyn Cronin and beautifully supports the setting and mood of this lovely little book.

The illustrations, done in the style of a collage, work wonderfully. The muted colors and restful tranquility of each scene enhance the overall feel of the book’s theme. Children will enjoy pointing out each item as they say goodnight. That aspect encourages participation and makes the book interactive.

This author is a professional jazz vocalist who creates a musical world for children in this book. An essential for every nursery, it exemplifies how bedtime stories should feel. The feelings of peace and safety weave themselves throughout the writing style of this work. The tone and quality of the book reflect the author’s unique gift of music and prose. That quality also reveals her abilities as a home educator in the way that it draws children to take part in saying goodnight.

What I loved best about the book was how well the music goes with the artwork and narrative. These three elements work together to create a harmony that exceeds expectations. The connection to nature and the universe is balanced, and a feeling of appreciation seems to exude itself through the pages.

I found nothing negative to mention about this book. I can think of no one who wouldn’t appreciate it in some way. It has an overall tone of peace that will resonate well with parents and children alike. It will appeal most to young children, from infants to 3 years of age. I recommend it to parents and young children as an excellent bedtime story. It is exceptionally well edited and has achieved a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars!

The Goodnight Song
View: on Bookshelves
Amarachi Nwankwo03
Currently Reading: Summer Showers
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amarachinwankwo.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Amarachi Nwankwo03 »

Wow! A fusion of music, illustrations, artwork and beautiful stories. I think this would be such a lovely bedtime book for children. The author has done a brilliant job with this one. Congratulations on BOTD 🥳
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

Wow!! This sounds like a fantastic book, and I like the emphasis on peace at bedtime. That is so important, and the musical element and engagement by having children point to items to say goodnight sounds magnificent. It sounds like the type of book my daughter will enjoy, who hates bedtime. That peace, music and nature might be what she needs; thanks for the excellent review!
Sopulu Ezidimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezidimma-01.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sopulu Ezidimma »

Amazing, i love that there is a music alongside the book to guide the reader on how to sing it. I find it very lovely. Great review too
Joyce Nwaogazie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

A book that is accompanied by a video and an mp3 will be worth the read, the author did well in this book.
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

Good book, the songs will help making baby sleep at night while singing it close to them. Thank you for your review
Kyrian007
Currently Reading: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrian007.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Kyrian007 »

This book has a fantastic review. How you revealed the humor of the book in your review is fantastic. For the review, I'm grateful. I can't wait to start reading this intriguing book.

Return to “Children's Books”