Review of Welcome to the Enchanted Forest of Special Needs

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Judy46
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy46.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Alfie Thomas

Review of Welcome to the Enchanted Forest of Special Needs

Post by Judy46 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Welcome to the Enchanted Forest of Special Needs" by Frankie Banuelos.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Being told by the doctor that your child is likely to come out as a special-needs child most of the time comes as a shock to parents. The children themselves go through a lot as well, which can include, but is not limited to, pain, stigma, and difficulties in performing usual human activities. Welcome to the Enchanted Forest of Special Needs by Frankie Banuelos is a little story about Nathan, the blind autistic cloud who doesn't fail to bring light and joy to everyone around him.

The book begins on a misty morning when Frankie the pollywog asks his friend Nathan to jump into the sky and show off his dazzling colors. Nathan does just that, and Frankie is impressed. Also, Frankie is not the only one in awe. All the other animals, like Jasmine the egret, Sophie the snail, the squirrels, zebras, and others, come out to watch Nathan in all his glory. Everyone is happy and satisfied with him.

What I loved most about this book was the theme on which it was based: love and acceptance. This story highlights acceptance a lot. In the different settings highlighted, one could notice how everyone was accepted irrespective of their faults and shortcomings. I believe this is a lesson children can learn from reading this book. Another beautiful thing about the book was the illustrations. They were interesting and were able to hold the reader's attention. The vocabulary was alright too. The author did well.

On the aspect of my dislikes, I think the plot was not well developed. At least one adventure should have been added in which they would all get to participate. This could have also added to the theme of normalcy and acceptance being passed across. There were some errors present. I think another round of editing wouldn't hurt. In all, this was a good story.

For the reasons listed above, I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book for children around the ages of 3–7. There are lessons to be learned from this.

Welcome to the Enchanted Forest of Special Needs
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Joyce Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

Bringing up a child or children with special needs takes lots of energy and commitment. To all the parents out there, this is me cheering you on. Love and acceptance in this scenario are important attributes to have. I'll look forward to reading this book.
Judy46
Currently Reading:

Post by Judy46 »

:tiphat: :tiphat:
Praise Chizurumoke wrote: 02 Jun 2022, 13:09 Bringing up a child or children with special needs takes lots of energy and commitment. To all the parents out there, this is me cheering you on. Love and acceptance in this scenario are important attributes to have. I'll look forward to reading this book.
It is worth it. Thanks for stopping by. :tiphat:
Elendu Ekechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

Nathan and Frankie must have had a good relationship. I don't like the fact the book lacked adventure
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Children with special needs are not weird or strange. They are just different. I didn’t have one of my own, but since my son has been gone a little boy with autism has been coming around. Sometimes he is a lot to deal with, but I am thankful for him every day!
Zwelihle_Myeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zwelihle-myeni.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Zwelihle_Myeni »

Based on the storyline and how the plot was developed, I think the kids would find it entertaining and fascinating. Thanks for a wonderful review.
Judy46
Currently Reading:

Post by Judy46 »

Elendu Ekechukwu wrote: 03 Jun 2022, 05:18 Nathan and Frankie must have had a good relationship. I don't like the fact the book lacked adventure
Thank you for your reply :tiphat:
Judy46
Currently Reading:

Post by Judy46 »

Zwelihle_Myeni wrote: 03 Jun 2022, 08:55 Based on the storyline and how the plot was developed, I think the kids would find it entertaining and fascinating. Thanks for a wonderful review.
Thank you for stopping by.
Judy46
Currently Reading:

Post by Judy46 »

Amy Luman wrote: 03 Jun 2022, 08:54 Children with special needs are not weird or strange. They are just different. I didn’t have one of my own, but since my son has been gone a little boy with autism has been coming around. Sometimes he is a lot to deal with, but I am thankful for him every day!
That is beautiful. Thank you for stopping by. :tiphat:
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

For us to be happy in this life, we need to love genuinely and be ready to accept who we are. I love that this book creatively teaches the kids these two virtues that are required in life. I love reading your review.
Judy46
Currently Reading:

Post by Judy46 »

lumenchristi wrote: 03 Jun 2022, 15:19 For us to be happy in this life, we need to love genuinely and be ready to accept who we are. I love that this book creatively teaches the kids these two virtues that are required in life. I love reading your review.
I agree with you. Thanks for stopping by. :tiphat:
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I applaud the goal of getting children to accept other children, even if they are different. That is so important in today's world. Thanks for an excellent review!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

Understanding and accepting that we're not all the same and some children have special needs is important. Despite the flaws you pointed out, this book can be very useful to understand humanity's complexities in simple terms. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Judy46
Currently Reading:

Post by Judy46 »

Prisallen wrote: 03 Jun 2022, 16:17 I applaud the goal of getting children to accept other children, even if they are different. That is so important in today's world. Thanks for an excellent review!
Thank you for stopping by. I agree that acceptance is very important in our world.
Judy46
Currently Reading:

Post by Judy46 »

NetMassimo wrote: 03 Jun 2022, 16:31 Understanding and accepting that we're not all the same and some children have special needs is important. Despite the flaws you pointed out, this book can be very useful to understand humanity's complexities in simple terms. Thank you for your great review!
Thank you for stopping by.

Return to “Children's Books”