Review of Cookie Claus

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Review of Cookie Claus

Post by Patty Allread »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cookie Claus" by Linda Mary Moriarty.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There's much more to Santa Claus and the North Pole than making toys and delivering them on a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer! Santa has a life outside of Christmas and a family and friends who do many things. In her delightful book, Cookie Claus, Linda Mary Moriarty tells us about Santa's year-round life and his first-born daughter, Cookie. You will learn what is in Santa's village, who the elves are, and what they do for a living. And, you will learn about the magic ability, "blinking."

The birth of Cookie Claus was a most blessed event for Santa and his wife, Goody. The entire village celebrated that day. As Cookie grew up, she had many friends. They hung out together and called themselves "The Village Gang." True to her name, Cookie became an excellent cookie baker. Little did Cookie know that her talent would one day help save her friends and the village from the dark evil lurking in Merciless Mountain.

I love how the author tells this story in a casual, conversational style. I especially love the little asides the author throws in to speak directly to the reader or listener; some of them are hilarious. Throughout the book, I felt Moriarity was letting me in on the little-known secrets of Santa's village. Truth be told, I loved being in the know. For instance, I now know what day is "Santa's List Day" and what it means. I could imagine someone reading chapters to their children several nights in a row and in between, trying the recipes together or telling some of the Santa jokes.

I found little to dislike about the story, which is exciting and creative and has positive points about good manners and behavior that children will learn from the elf culture, such as when Cookie advises Bow, "It's only polite to say thank you when given a gift." I was disappointed that there were no illustrations.

The book is not professionally edited since I found numerous errors throughout the book. Because of this, I gave Cookie Claus three out of four stars. It is otherwise an excellent world-building children's book that adds great dimension to the concept of Santa, his village, and his elves.

I recommend Cookie Claus for children of all ages. It is perfect for reading to young children or for children aged seven and up to read themselves. Adults will enjoy it too. Reading this book could become a family tradition.

Cookie Claus
View: on Bookshelves
Nino Chinonso Onwurah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nino-chinonso-onwurah.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Nino Chinonso Onwurah »

Your first paragraph cracked me up. I hope Santa’s jokes in the book will be as hilarious. This is a beautifully written review. It is clear and engaging.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Your first paragraph cracked me up. I hope Santa's jokes in the book will be as hilarious. This is a beautifully written review. It is clear and engaging.
Thanks so much! Santa's jokes are at the level of "pretty good Dad jokes."
marta baglioni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

This is such a good idea for a children's book! They would probably enjoy it more if it had illustrations, though. Thank you for this beautifully written review ;)
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

The number one thing that attracted me is the cover page of this book followed by your excellent review. I will must commend you for this review. Weldon.
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

Reading this book could become a family tradition.
It does seem to have some very special qualities. Your wonderful review made me smile. It reflects the charm and humour of the book. As any elf would advise, I will politely say thank you Patty All read.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

Interesting!!! We were made to believe while growing up that Santa came from heaven only for Christmas. It is thrilling to see that the author was able to write an interesting story different from the usual narrative. Wonderful review welldone.

Return to “Children's Books”