Review of Little Red

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Review of Little Red

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Little Red" by eelonqa K harris.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Little Red by eelonqa K harris is a children’s picture book written in the style of a graphic novel. Little Red is called Little Red because she wears a red cape that her grandmother knitted for her. The kids at school make fun of her for wearing this cape. One day, Little Red’s mom tells her to walk over to her grandmother’s house after school. She reminds Little Red not to walk through the Reserve because it is a dangerous place with wolves. Being a typical child, Little Red decides to ignore this warning and take a shortcut through the Reserve anyway. Will she be safe and make it to her grandmother’s house unharmed? You’ll have to read this book to find out.

The message in this book is great. I can’t go into too much detail without spoiling the book, but it teaches about acceptance and how things aren’t always as they seem. It also goes into some cultural aspects that I enjoyed. The pictures are also great. Illustrations are an essential part of graphic novels, and the illustrations in this book help tell the story well. I love that they are mostly black and white with color added to certain items for emphasis.

The only downfall of the book is that the dialogue boxes are sometimes confusing. The book is written in graphic-novel format, so all of the text is written in dialogue boxes coming from each character. However, it’s sometimes difficult to tell which order they need to be read in or which person is speaking. This is partially due to the dark background of the pictures and partially due to the placement of the text. If I had difficulties with this, children will too. However, I must point out that this only occurs on a couple of pages, and I was still able to figure the story out. It was just a little more work than I would have expected.

The book seems to be professionally edited, which is essential for all children’s books. I didn’t notice a single error while reading this book. I commend the author for making sure that this book was free from errors. The content is also appropriate for children and easy for them to understand. I would feel completely comfortable letting my kids read it.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I might have given it 3.5 stars if I could. However, the one issue I pointed out is fairly minor. I was still able to read and understand the story. The editing is flawless, and the story itself is good. I would recommend this book for school-age children. Those who are just starting to get into reading on their own would probably like this one due to the small amount of dialogue compared to the number of pictures. Children who are not reading independently would enjoy reading this with a parent or older sibling.

Little Red
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ada Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-chris.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Ada Chris »

The review is amazing, the book is trying to teach children to be respectful and heed to advice from elderly one, the book is a good book for children,I’m definitely going to read this book, it’s nice
Tiffany Govender
Currently Reading: Dead and Butter
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Tiffany Govender »

I really loved this book as a child.But right until now I still really enjoy reading this look.This book brings out the inner child in me.
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

Illustrations always stimulate children to read a book. There are lessons sprinkled throughout the book that would benefit every child. Thanks for the lovely review
Prosper2000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prosper2000.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Prosper2000 »

I am a great fan of children's books that teach lessons with pictures and illustrations to stimulate the mind. Great review.
Sopulu Ezidimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezidimma-01.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sopulu Ezidimma »

This story reminds me of the song coat of many colours. Thanks for your review.
Oluwasogo Familusi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwasogo-familusi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Oluwasogo Familusi »

Great review! I hope to see the result of Little red's disobedience.
Lawrence+2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawrence-2.html
Latest Review: The Ranting of an Uneducated Reactionary by Oscar J. Phillips

Post by Lawrence+2 »

I love the storyline of this book. It will be a good read for children.
maycherono91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maycherono91.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by maycherono91 »

I would get this book for my son. Great review.
Madu Abigail
Currently Reading: The Unseelie Crown
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madu-abigail.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Madu Abigail »

From my experience, I can tell that this book is going to be very interesting. I would definitely get this book in my shelf. Thanks for this wonderful review.

Return to “Children's Books”