Review of Wolfy’s Adventure

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Wolfy’s Adventure

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wolfy’s Adventure" by Gisela Bengfort.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fate is a hawk, and Wolfy is a rat. While unlikely, the two are best friends. So, they decide to explore new and exciting places. Wolfy hops into a basket, Fate holds onto it with her talons, and off they fly. The hawk's excellent eyesight allows her to scan for potential prey and predators.

The adventure is interrupted by a large vicious owl threatening to have Wolfy for a meal. But Fate cannot allow it! Jointly with a group of crows, they chase away the owl. But the owl gets a parliament for backup, and off they attack the hawk and her best friend again. Along the way, Fate and Wolfy encounter pelicans and otters with whom they make friends. Meanwhile, the unusual bond between a rat and hawk begins creating attention. Pictures of the duo end up in a newspaper, and they become celebrities! Where will their adventures lead them? Better still, will they make more friends along the way?

Wolfy’s Adventure by Gisela Bengfort is a gem! I enjoyed every bit of it. Allow me to award it 4 out of 4 stars before proceeding. The book has scientific teachings. There were lessons about thermals and the importance of animals to the ecosystem. For instance, without knowing, chipmunks allow the spread of seeds in the environment that sprout into beautiful trees.

I enjoyed the lessons about the collective names of animals. Did you know a group of gulls is considered a colony? Furthermore, owls in a group are called a parliament. Interestingly, we identify a group of pelicans depending on the activity. While flying, we call them a squadron. While fishing together, there is a different name for them. Read the book and be enlightened.

There is a valuable lesson on keeping the environment clean and safe for marine life. Pelicans get trapped in the nets humans leave ashore. Thousands of water animals suffocate in the polythene left in the water. The book is exceptionally well edited. I found nothing to loathe. I recommend Wolfy’s Adventure by Gisela Bengfort to kids who love adventurous books about animals.

Wolfy’s Adventure
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

Wolfy’s Adventure is a good book for children. Asides the interesting storyline, there is a lot of moral lessons to garner. Great review.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

This book looks great for children teaching them many scientific information mixed with adventure. I only find it confusing to name a rat "Wolfy". Thanks for the great review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June

Return to “Children's Books”