Review of The Adventures of Mexi the Boat Dog

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Review of The Adventures of Mexi the Boat Dog

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Adventures of Mexi the Boat Dog" by Maxine K Brown.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dogs can be very playful and mischievous. The fact is that most dogs like to have fun and socialize with other animals. However, sometimes they get along with some animals and with others they don't get along at all. The Adventures of Mexi the Boat Dog: Mexi and the moorhen by Maxine K Brown is a children's book that follows the adventures of a dog named Mexi when his owners move to a narrowboat.

In the center of the plot of this short story is Mexi. When his owners moved out of the house, he spent a lot of time on walks and on various adventures. When they finally moved to the narrowboat, he was very nervous. When Mexi would go for walks with his mum, he would meet ducks, which he liked. However, when he saw the moorhens for the first time, he didn't like them and started chasing them. He didn't like their looks nor the strange sounds they made. Because of his bad behavior, he got into trouble. The reader further finds out what will happen next in the story and whether Mexi and the moorhens will become friends after all.

This relatively short story for children has a very unusual and intriguing plot. First of all, I like that the dog is the main character and that the story is told from his perspective. Also, I like the style of writing, which is very simple and straightforward and is ideal for any children's book. Also, the book contains some photos that accompany the story. I am very glad that the author decided to include them because this way, I can see what Mexi looks like, but also other animals from the book. The book also conveys to young readers that you should not judge a book by its cover.

As for the negative aspects, I don't have any major complaints. However, I would have liked the story to have been longer and to have included more photos. Also, it would be practical if the book was divided into chapters or some kind of sections. In addition, the book seems to be well edited, considering that I encountered only two errors.

All things considered, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. The main reason for the slightly lower rating is the book's length. Also, I believe that the layout and style of the book could have been more creative and distinctive, considering that it is a book for children. I think the ideal audience for this book would be children aged 6 to 10. The book would also be a good choice as a bedtime story.

The Adventures of Mexi the Boat Dog
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sopulu Ezidimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezidimma-01.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sopulu Ezidimma »

I love dogs so I think I would also like to read the book thanks for the recommendation.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Laney K »

This seems like a cute book for children that like dogs. Excellent, informative review
Ayesha Ameera Memon
Currently Reading: Culture Jock
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayesha-ameera-memon.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Ayesha Ameera Memon »

I love children’s books that are centered around animal characters and their relationships with humans and other animals and their adventures exploring the world! I recently reviewed 2 books by R F Kristi, a children’s book author who includes animal characters solving crimes together! Do check out my reviews of those books, would love to know what you think!
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

Looks like a great children's book. It's my first time to hear about moorhens, so this review encouraged me to search about them which is great. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

I like reading any book about dog as it helps me engage better with my dog. Children will enjoy reading the book.

Return to “Children's Books”