Review of The Dogs Who Play Baseball

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ozioma Miriam
Currently Reading: The Love Charm
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ozioma-miriam.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review of The Dogs Who Play Baseball

Post by Ozioma Miriam »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Dogs Who Play Baseball" by Thomas Louis Carroll.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The content of this book is bizarre but interesting. Can you imagine? Dogs can play baseball! When I saw the title of this book, The Dogs Who Play Baseball, I didn't expect that they'd play the game and control the movements required. So I was very surprised when they did. This fictional book was written by Thomas Louis Carroll.

The Bronx Badgers had lost their field to the bully, Froggy, and his teammates. So, following Louie's idea, they trained their dogs to play against Froggy and his teammates. They were to leave the field if the dogs won. Of course, it isn't every day you see dogs play baseball. So this garnered a lot of attention. The dogs were noticed by Eddie, a PR agent, who told them that they could be famous and make money from what they did. They then convinced a newspaper writer to publicize them and Dexter Archer, a famous retired Yankee baseball player, to be their manager. Now, they have their first game scheduled and publicized. What would be the outcome of this game? Would the dogs be able to handle the crowd and the attention? Grab a copy of this book to find out.

Some of the characters in this book were interesting. Louie was the head and thinker of the team. Sally helped him figure out how to go about teaching their dogs how to play baseball and what special equipment the dogs might need. His mother had an accident and was confined to a wheelchair. A doctor mentioned that after an experimental operation, his mother might be able to walk again. But the amount of money required for the operation was too much, and the insurance company refused to cover it. Raising this money was a motivating factor for him to make the dogs successful. Would he achieve this goal? Would his mother walk again?

While this book was interesting, there were some things I disliked. The author did not describe the characters well. Even the dogs were not fully described. The breeds of the dogs were mentioned. But not everyone would know what they looked like based on that. If the author had provided pictures of the dogs, it would have made the story better. Except for these, the book was excellent. There was a measure of suspense in the book, and the plotline was fascinating.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. For the reasons above, I gave it this rating. The characters were not distinct in my mind. Since I didn't know much about dog breeds, I had to go to the internet to get an idea of what these dogs looked like. I found no errors. It was exceptionally well-edited. The cover picture was beautiful and would attract a reader's attention. I recommend this book to lovers of baseball and dogs. I also recommend it to kids over the age of ten.

The Dogs Who Play Baseball
View: on Bookshelves
Moyin Loveth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moyin-loveth.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Moyin Loveth »

The title is the first thing that caught my attention. I can't imagine dogs playing any sports, let alone baseball. I have so many questions as to how the author managed to pull this off. Thanks for writing this review, I'll be reading the book soon.
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

I love baseball and I have a cute dog. I wouldn't mind reading the book as I find the concept to be very funny. Nicely written review.
Jelly_J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jelly-j.html
Latest Review: Annihilation by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jelly_J »

I see baseball as quite a serious game. The thought of seeing dogs play it makes me laugh. I enjoyed reading your review; I look forward to reading this book.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I commend Louie for wanting to help his mom. She really needed it. The premise of this story, though, is really too much. While dogs are very smart and I have no doubt that they could learn it, I don’t think they have the ability.
Mabosi paul brian
Currently Reading: Through my window
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Mabosi paul brian »

Wow! The thought of dogs playing baseball is quite interesting that it brought a bit of smile to my face. I look forwad to reading it. Thanks.
Ozioma Miriam
Currently Reading: The Love Charm
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ozioma-miriam.html

Post by Ozioma Miriam »

Mabosi paul brian wrote: 01 Aug 2022, 23:47 Wow! The thought of dogs playing baseball is quite interesting that it brought a bit of smile to my face. I look forward to reading it. Thanks.
Thanks for commenting. It's really interesting. You won't regret reading it.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

The sound of dogs playing baseball alone is intriguing. It drove my attention and made me want to know what was written in the book. I enjoyed reading your review as you gave an adequate summary of the book.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

A fun new fiction to keep me busy. I hope it's as interesting as you say. Nice review.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Arsya putra
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Arsya putra »

a very interesting story to give to children who are still in the growth stage, considering that at the age of 1 to 5 years the child's imagination in thinking and acting is very active
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

I love this book for your review. The Way presented your review marks this book sounds interesting. I must read the book. Great review.
Onyinyechi Orji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-orji.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by Onyinyechi Orji »

I find the title quite humorous too. I can't wait to read what this book entails. I hope I find it interesting as you did. Thanks for the review.
queen anirah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queen-anirah.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by queen anirah »

Interesting 😂😂 how is a dog supposed to play baseball. Anyways, I love fiction books and it will be a better option for children to read this book.
Harry Torsney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harry-torsney.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Harry Torsney »

This sounds like an entertaining work of fiction. I'm curious to know who won the game. Thanks for this excellent review.
David Chijindu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Play Golf Better Faster Handbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-chijindu.html
Latest Review: Finding Our True Identity by Honey Dee

Post by David Chijindu »

The headline drew my attention right away. Any sport, let alone baseball, is impossible for dogs to play. I honestly want to know how the author did this. Since I want to read the book soon, I appreciate you offering this evaluation.

Return to “Children's Books”