Review of Are You Coming Back?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Review of Are You Coming Back?

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Are You Coming Back?" by David S. Watkins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are You Coming Back? is a children’s picture book written by David S. Watkins. It’s a short book of just over thirty pages, half of which are illustrations. The book tells the story of Cat and Dog as they are left alone at home for a short time by their human guardian. Her absence causes them some anxiety. Both fear that she might not return. The story explores how the pair cope with their feelings and invites young readers to reflect upon this.

This is a book that young children will love. Visually, it’s very appealing. The book is predominantly sky blue throughout. It’s a colour that is safe and comforting. The illustration on the front cover is similarly reassuring. It shows Cat and Dog sitting together in a relaxed way, making it clear that they’re friends.

I also appreciated the simplicity of the tale. The feelings of Cat and Dog are easy to understand; children will surely find them relatable. The full-page illustrations support the story by mirroring the sentiments and actions expressed in the text on the opposite page. This will help young minds stay focused.

One aspect of the book that left me wondering was the very first page. It’s here that the author addresses the young readers directly, affirming their feelings and informing them that it’s always okay to talk about these whenever they want. I had no issue with the content of the page. Rather, I was surprised that it came at the start of the book. For me, it would have sat more naturally at the end as a takeaway or moral of the story.

I am happy to award this book four out of four stars. It has been well produced and edited, and I found only one minor error. I recommend it to teachers, parents and guardians searching for suitable reading material for elementary school children. It could be read to kids at home or in school to stimulate a discussion, or it could be read by kids who have just moved on to independent reading.

Are You Coming Back?
View: on Bookshelves
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

I like the simplicity of the book and the colour of the book , anything to soothe one's mind while reading.
Nice review.
Deimante Stankaityte
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Deimante Stankaityte »

I really like this book cover and i think kids would love to read this especialy before bed time this would make them dream about nice things, couse sometimes kids tell each other horror things and then they have nightmares , but if you read something nice before their bed time pvz: this book i think they would sleep really well, and this bookis not long to read so parents should like that.
I am really happy to award this book four out of four.☻
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

Feeling abandoned is a scary thought. While it is natural fir children to feel worried in the absence of their parents, I always winder how do pets feel exactly in the absence of their guardians. This sounds like a great children's book showing that pets have feelings as well. Nice review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June

Return to “Children's Books”