Review of The Ghoul in the Graveyard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Review of The Ghoul in the Graveyard

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Ghoul in the Graveyard" by Travis Walters.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Since moving to Pearl Place, three foster kids, Emily, Nate, and Sam, have witnessed their fair share of creepy things, but the trio is hoping to put it all behind them. Still, with the recent discovery of a graveyard neighboring their home, the vibe is downright ghoulish. So when Sam sneaks out one night to explore potential zombie activity, he faces a wretched, decaying zombie with pennies for eyes. But this is not your typical flesh-eating, low-groaning, slack-jawed zombie. Instead, it’s Vic, a chatty—albeit grumpy—ghoul who needs Sam’s help.

It seems that the fate of Pearl Place and the surrounding property with the church and graveyard is in jeopardy of being sold and the land is becoming increasingly overrun with zombies (yes, the groaning, eat-your-face type.) it’s up to Sam, Emily, and Nate to get to the bottom of it. But will they be able to save Pearl Place without becoming a snack to the hungry zombies?

The Ghoul in the Graveyard by Travis Walters is a slightly creepy but fun book for young readers. The book is told from the third-person perspective and mostly follows Sam as he unravels the truth about the goings-on in the graveyard next to his foster home. Themes of good versus evil, coming-of-age, and friendship are woven into the plot, creating an immersive reading experience for children.

My absolute favorite aspect of the exciting story was the friendship forged between Sam and the ghoul, Vic. Despite Vic’s decaying exterior, the author created a character that was caring and funny, and I think this will put children at ease while reading. There’s nothing scary about a selfie-taking, quick-witted ghoul, right?

Another thing that I enjoyed about the book was the perseverance displayed through Sam’s actions. Despite his trepidation about helping a ghoul fight off nefarious zombies, he faced his fears and fought for the greater good of the land and his family. In doing this, young readers watch as the self-deprecating young man’s confidence soars.

The book was exceptionally edited, and I found no errors in the writing. Furthermore, there is nothing negative to say about it. Because of its emphasis on friendship and self-confidence, I have chosen to give the story a rating of four out of four stars. With the appearance of a friendly ghoul, it makes the zombie aspect of the book more lighthearted and child-appropriate, and I would recommend the story to young readers who enjoy a thrilling mystery with engaging characters.

The Ghoul in the Graveyard
View: on Bookshelves
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

The story sounds complicated and scary. But, I like how the author portrayed this zombies different from the usual zombies we are used to. I enjoyed reading your review and look forward to reading the book. Welldone!!!

Return to “Children's Books”