Review of Krystal Winkle and the Peacemaker of Kigali

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Review of Krystal Winkle and the Peacemaker of Kigali

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Krystal Winkle and the Peacemaker of Kigali" by Carolyn Roth-White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Written by Carolyn Roth-White, Krystal Winkle and the Peacemaker of Kigali is a fantasy adventure with a strong animal conservation message.

After accidentally awakening her pink glitter powers, Krystal Winkle discovers that she comes from a long line of Cristallies—a secret society that vows to use magic for good. But wherever there’s a noble Cristalli, there’s a sinister Cristalli Huntsman not far behind: Their ultimate goal is to fulfill the Huntsman’s Yardstick, and they need young Krystal for that.

When the Foreign Service of America assigns Krystal's dad a new mission, the entire family is relocated to Kigali, Rwanda. Krystal can't wait to meet the Peacemaker of Kigali. After all, what could be more thrilling than trekking through the African jungles? But something feels weird, which makes Krystal worry about the Peacemaker’s safety. A wolf in sheep’s clothing lurks dangerously close; gorgeous George may have swooned everyone except for Krystal. Secretly, he plans to kidnap the young Cristalli and deliver her to his evil Queen Mara. Can Krystal save the Peacemaker on time? Can she protect herself from the huntsman?

With the help of enchanted sidekicks and jungle creatures, Krystal learns that power comes with responsibility. She will have to use it wisely, or it may run out!

This exciting tale begins with an unidentified character waking up groggy inside a wooden crate—I immediately felt their panic. Who is it? How did they get there? Surrounded by nostalgia, it reminisces of a pre-internet era, when diaries still had keys, and letters weren't sent electronically.

There is much to appreciate about this first installment of the Krystal Winkle Series. However, my utmost favorite trait is the animal conservation message. Roth-White introduces her readers to the silverback gorillas of Virunga National Park. Through her heroine, I learned about their habitats, their lifestyle, and the dangers of poaching. I especially liked that she included names and descriptions of African flora and fauna: For example, the creatures in the Serengeti and the orchids in the rainforest.

The other literary elements are also worth high marks, such as character development, plot conflicts, and fantasy elements. For instance, the protagonist and antagonist are opposite sides of a coin: Where Krystal is kindhearted and selfless, gorgeous George is sly and utterly selfish. Also, the plot is continuous, with twists, bumps, and shocks at every turn. Roth-White accentuates this experience by creating a heightened mood with her carefully chosen phrases. The magic portions of the story run along the real-world scenes in a compatible and natural way.

The illustrator, Debbie Waldorf-Johnson, seasons the pages with inked artwork. These monotoned drawings are detailed and spread out throughout the book. I welcome the readers to pay close attention to the map of the jungle, which takes up two pages. It shows the locations of rivers, gorilla troops, ancient calderas, and more. Following Krystal’s footsteps on the map increased my interactivity with the story.

I have no dislikes and found no negative aspects in this story. Ultimately, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This magical jungle adventure is a rollercoaster ride, and I relished every moment; therefore, there is no reason for any deduction.

I highly recommend this story to readers who enjoy fantasy-action adventures in faraway places. Readers who like exotic animals will love it. There are a few mentions of blood oaths and smoking of cigarettes. Although I had no trouble with them, some sensitive readers may take issue; however, I encourage them to try this book out.

Krystal Winkle and the Peacemaker of Kigali
View: on Bookshelves
Raquel Insek
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Raquel Insek »

The story embodies emphaty and responsibility as well. The writer is brilliant and I can say that the story was perfectly arrange that can cause excitement to the readers.
Mr Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-excellence.html
Latest Review: Four Critical Days by Edward Vogler

Post by Mr Excellence »

I must say that the book cover is catchy. And the book very engaging, interesting, and intriguing.
Great review!
Israel10
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-israel10.html
Latest Review: Creating Wellbeing and Building Resilience in the Veterinary Profession by Sonja A. Olson, DVM

Post by Israel10 »

Written by Carolyn Roth-White, Krystal Winkle and the Peacemaker of Kigali is a fantasy adventure with a strong animal conservation message. Great review.
Chiwendu Ikechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwendu-ikechukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chiwendu Ikechukwu »

It is interesting to know that captivating reviews like this are gotten in this site. This book seems interesting. Adding it to my book shelf ASAP.
queen anirah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queen-anirah.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by queen anirah »

The review has me really interested in the book. Will krystal be able to help them? I wonder too
uwase laissa u
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by uwase laissa u »

As one of the citizens of Kigali the name and book cover did attract me.
The book sounds intriguing and I can't wait to read it and start this journey
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

A book with strong animal conservation message is timeless and very important. Great book!

Return to “Children's Books”