Review of FRANKIe and her four Felines

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 982
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Review of FRANKIe and her four Felines

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "FRANKIe and her four Felines" by Barbara J. Henderson,MSW.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Animals often turn out to be our best friends and confidantes. Even if humans betray us, there is no possibility for a pet to leave its human friends. Once an animal befriends a person, they are there for the long haul. More often than not, it is the pet who adopts a person instead of the other way around.

In Barbara Henderson's Frankie and her Four Felines: The Life and Times of Frankie Cleopatra Boulevard, an orange tabby cat adopts a family of five. In 2004, a precocious feline appeared on the doorstep of a family residing in Auburn Gresham near the CVS Pharmacy and St. Sabina Church. Though the mother did not want to feed the cat at first, the youngest daughter's love for the feline won her over. Soon, the animal became a part of the household. When they realized that the cat was a girl, they changed her name from Franklin to Frankie. Gradually, the mother started treating Frankie like her own daughter. One year later, the outgoing little cat came home and gave birth to four little kitties to the surprise of the family. Now, the house in Illinois, Chicago, became the home of five humans and five felines. This included a fiercely protective cat mother and an adoring yet strict human mom. With so many beings living in one place, life sure got eventful.

How will the family manage to live with their five felines? What will happen to Frankie and her kittens? How will the mother manage her three daughters and four cats?

Frankie and her Four Felines: The Life and Times of Frankie Cleopatra Boulevard recounts the wonderful life lived by a normal family from Illinois, Chicago, along with their unexpected furry friends. Frankie's shenanigans remind us of all the mischiefs that our sulky cats can get up to. Her trysts make her all the more adorable as this is what cats usually do. Her four kittens are all one of a kind. The oldest is a boy named Fields. He is friendly and greedy. Fancy is a hunter. Findi is the spoiled princess of the lot while quiet little Frisco is the leader. The kittens are portrayed in such an endearing light that the reader gets the urge to adopt them just like the family in the story.

The book has a colorful palette. The pink cover and the brightly colored and beautifully decorated pages make it all the more attractive. I like how the author includes real-life photos of the cat and her four kittens. The pictures made me smile. The short story and the bright pages make this book an ideal bedtime read for toddlers. Parents or guardians can read out the story while the children can browse through the beautiful pages. Though I found a few errors, they were not enough to detract from my reading experience. I recommend this book to toddlers, their parents, guardians, and caregivers. Teachers might find this book handy for a good storytime read as well.

Barbara Henderson's story is based on true events. This adds charm to the story. The fact that the book is her first foray into the publishing world makes it all the more special. Henderson decided to write the book at the behest of her youngest daughter. She has in mind to pen more engaging reads. I would be happy to read Frankie's next adventures.

Keeping in mind the pros and cons, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

FRANKIe and her four Felines
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Krispies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krispies.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Krispies »

I've always been a big fan of cats. This represents an amazing read for someone with my preferences. Added ✔️
ThankGod Onyishi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankgod-onyishi.html
Latest Review: The Blood of My Mother by Roccie Hill

Post by ThankGod Onyishi »

My love for children's books and books that have nice illustrations makes me wonder if I am an adult sometimes. I would recommend this book, if not for anything but for the lovely review you have got here.
CandyCandy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esraa-samy-1.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by CandyCandy »

I have never been so sure I'd love a book in my life! Everything about this book seems special to me that I forgot at some point that it's a children's book!
Oh, I also have a cat, so no wonder!
Ajay Rudrapati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajay-rudrapati.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Ajay Rudrapati »

I am very much awaited to read this book, Your review motivated me to read this book ASAP. The way you inculcated the details of the book in a very clear manner is impressive. Thank you

Return to “Children's Books”