Review of The tale of the white cardinal

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jane Ogwang
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Review of The tale of the white cardinal

Post by Jane Ogwang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The tale of the white cardinal" by D.M.Thompson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Conflicts can be inevitable. I, however, find those that arise from diversity unnecessary and easily avoidable. Teaching our kids to appreciate our differences at a young age seems like a great solution to this problem. The Tale of the White Cardinal by D.M. Thompson does an excellent job of tackling the issues of harmony and diversity.

The book tells the story of a cardinal who, unlike most other red cardinals, is white. The cardinal finds herself in a beautiful forest with other inhabitants. Sparrow, who first meets her, quickly recognizes her color's peculiarity. She questions it and instantly flies away to spread the word to the other animals about the visiting cardinal. Unfortunately, she is not kind with her messaging. The hate she plants in the other animals about the cardinal takes root, and soon, the cardinal is alienated by the other animals and finds herself lonely. Was this a wise decision, or did it come back to haunt the sparrow? I leave that question for you to get an answer when you pick the book up for reading.

I absolutely enjoyed the simplicity and preciseness of the story. The author had one message in mind for the kids, and she delivered it perfectly. She used simple language and refrained from unnecessary repetition and vagueness. The book is just 15-pages long, making it easy for kids to follow. I would also not sweep the importance of the message below the carpet. It's 2022, and there are still instances of discrimination due to race, religion, and tribe differences. This book plays a vital role in educating the future generation on the importance of accommodating different thoughts, ideas, characters, and appearances.

The illustrations in the book are also simple yet vivid. The white cardinal is well-presented; the reader can see how much she stands out. The animals' conversations add authenticity and human aspects to the story. There was nothing I disliked about this book.

I, therefore, give it a rating of four out of four stars. The book is professionally edited, as I only noticed one error. I recommend it for children between the ages of six and ten. They will not only enjoy reading it but will also learn valuable lessons from it.

The tale of the white cardinal
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I see beautiful red cardinals every day in my yard. A white one would be striking, and differences do polarize, unfortunately. It sounds like the author addresses this issue well. Thank you for your thoughtful review and recommendation.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
lawisimportant23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawisimportant23.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by lawisimportant23 »

I agree. It is incredible that such a short book could carry such potent themes. Great review.
Chris Walter Mason
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-walter-mason.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Chris Walter Mason »

I love how the book teaches how to avoid Conflicts. It is important to teach our children from a tender age to avoid trouble. Good job.
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

MsH2k wrote: 07 Sep 2022, 18:57 I see beautiful red cardinals every day in my yard. A white one would be striking, and differences do polarize, unfortunately. It sounds like the author addresses this issue well. Thank you for your thoughtful review and recommendation.
Thanks for passing by.

Return to “Children's Books”