Pete the Cat: Valentine's Day Is Cool by James Dean

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rcratty
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcratty.html

Pete the Cat: Valentine's Day Is Cool by James Dean

Post by rcratty »

Pete the Cat: Valentine's Day Is Cool by James Dean (Author, Illustrator), Kimberly Dean (Author)
For Pete the Cat, Valentine's Day isn't cool. A trip on his skateboards and a visit with his friend Callie, who tells him it’s her favorite holiday, soon changes his mind. With a little thought, he realizes how many special cat friends there are in his life. Pete works hard to make special valentines for each friend. Larry gets a valentine with a picture of a football; Trey gets a guitar; and John, a piano. Soon, he’s making a card for the school bus driver, the crossing guard, and the librarian. However he soon realizes he forgot to make a card for Callie.
Pete the Cat as he discovers just how special Valentine's Day can be in this sweet book celebrates the love between friends and gratitude for people who help you every day.
Pete the Cat: Valentine's Day Is Cool is a total gift package, including Valentine’s cards, stickers, and a poster.
The Pete the Cat are fun gifts for children. Here is a list of Pete the Cat books:
• Pete the Cat: Cavecat Pete Jan 20, 2015 by James Dean
• Pete the Cat: Construction Destruction Mar 24, 2015 by James Dean
• Pete the Cat's Groovy Guide to Life Apr 7, 2015 by James Dean and Kimberly Dean
• Pete the Cat: Five Little Pumpkins Jul 21, 2015 by James Dean
• Pete the Cat: Rock On, Mom and Dad! Mar 10, 2015 by James Dean
• Pete the Cat: Big Easter Adventure Jan 28, 2014 by James Dean and Kimberly Dean
• Pete the Cat and the New Guy Aug 5, 2014 by James Dean and Kimberly Dean
• Pete the Cat: Old MacDonald Had a Farm Feb 18, 2014 by James Dean
• Pete the Cat: Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star May 27, 2014 by James Dean
• Pete the Cat and His Magic Sunglasses Oct 1, 2013 by James Dean and Kimberly Dean
• Pete the Cat: Valentine's Day Is Cool Nov 26, 2013 by James Dean and Kimberly Dean
• Pete the Cat: The Wheels on the Bus Jun 25, 2013 by James Dean
• Pete the Cat: The First Thanksgiving Oct 1, 2013 by James Dean and Kimberly Dean
• Pete the Cat Saves Christmas Sep 25, 2012 by James Dean and Eric Litwin
• Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes Jul 26, 2011 by James Dean and Eric Litwin
• Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes Mar 2, 2010 by James Dean and Eric Litwin
• Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons May 1, 2012 by James Dean and Eric Litwin
Four stars for series.****
dipdrops2003
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dipdrops2003.html
Latest Review: "Samantha Smartypants Runs for Class President" by Barbara Puccia
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by dipdrops2003 »

I have enjoyed reading Pete the Cat books to my toddlers when I was a teacher in a preschool center. Their favorite Pete the Cat book was Pete the Cat: I Love my White Shoes. I recommended this book to many of my friends with young ones because of the learning I saw in it for my toddlers. The book has a large emphasis on colors and this is an important part of the learning and development for children at this age.
Latest Review: "Samantha Smartypants Runs for Class President" by Barbara Puccia
lgerwig
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgerwig.html

Post by lgerwig »

The play on words of cool and cat - cool cat may be overlooked by a young reader. As I was reading the story, I felt like I was reading as a new beginner would read it, very choppy. The idea of making sure everyone receives a valentine is so important because there have been numerous children hurt by not receiving a valentine. A hurt that is always remembered. Would I purchase this book for my granddaughter? The answer would be no for several reasons. First the storyline ends abruptly. The author could have included what the cats did at her party, then ended with this being the best Valentine's day ever. Second, the font chosen for the words maybe difficult for young readers. Third, the illustrations were not warm, very stiff and cold. I would not recommend this book for a Valentine's day purchase.
Chee2215
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Chee2215 »

I wanted to thank you for your review. I have a toddler that goes through books like wild fire. I am always looking for holiday themed books in order to introduce him to traditions yet still maintain some sort of learning experience. As I'm sure your aware content is only a portion of a children's book and pictures, colors and illustrations are needed to keep the child entertained. Your honest review brought up a new thought process for me with this book.
Sav Sparkman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sav-sparkman.html
Latest Review: Artwords by Beatriz M. Robles
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

I really enjoy the Pete the Cat series, and many of the children I read them with do as well. I disagree with the above review, I find the illustrations very colorful and fun for younger audiences. Of course, everyone has their own preferences :) I like the simple story lines in these books, it makes them especially appealing for preschool children whose attention spans tend to be shorter than elementary aged kids. However, I have found early elementary aged children adore these books as well. They are very easy books to teach from, and can be adapted in lots of ways for learning opportunities.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller

Return to “Children's Books”