Review of I'm So Thankful for My School Supplies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Review of I'm So Thankful for My School Supplies

Post by MsH2k »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I'm So Thankful for My School Supplies" by Jamal Blair.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At first glance at the title of this children’s book, one may be tempted to dismiss it as a humdrum topic. Few kids would be thankful for school supplies. New shoes or a new hairstyle may bring a smile to a student’s face at the beginning of the school year, but hardly anyone would be excited about getting a new eraser.

Teacher, author, and illustrator Jamal Blair quickly allays any doubts about the engagement factor of this read. Starting with the dedication, the rhymes in this 39-page book entertain and engage the reader with clever phrases and a smooth rhythm.

Written in an AABBA rhyming scheme, a clue to the school supply’s identity is presented first, followed by its name and illustration on the next page. Blair’s drawings are simple and realistic, sprinkled with a dash of animation to keep the target age group engaged. The picture of the calculator is one of my favorites. The number displayed is 0.7734, a rite of passage for a first-time calculator owner: learning how to spell hello when the calculator is turned upside down. Virtues of 15 school supplies were extolled. The items ranged from crayons to folders to scissors, and I especially appreciated the clue for the lowly eraser: “If I write and regret my decision, Then, forgiving me is your sole mission.”

I reviewed the Kindle edition of this book, and it was perfect for holding the suspense before turning the page to find out if I had guessed the object correctly. Another benefit of an online edition is that it allows family members and other adults to share the reading experience remotely with a child.

I rate I’m So Thankful for My School Supplies! 4 out of 4 stars. There was nothing I disliked in this delightful read. The rhythm and message of the verses will keep children engaged and encourage them to appreciate everyday school supplies they may have taken for granted. I recommend this book for readers ages 3 through 7. The format would work well in a classroom as a riddle exercise. The words are not phonetically challenging—the teacher part of the author has ensured this—but conscientious readers will need a dictionary to learn the meaning of a few terms.

I'm So Thankful for My School Supplies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

I loved the format of this book. It would be fun to solve the riddles with children. I'm sure the kids will love it. Thanks for your recommendation!
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

The title captivated me and made me want to discover the book. I enjoyed the review and after reading it, I wished I had this author as my teacher :)
Okorji98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

The rhythm and message of the verses will keep children engaged and encourage them to appreciate everyday school supplies they may have taken for granted. A great children’s book.
Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olomofe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Olomofe »

This book seems thrilling and relieving for children. The presence of rhymes and drawings consolidates its quality
Jermaine Moonsamy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jermaine Moonsamy »

Kids can learn a lot from this book knowing how important that u have your own supplies of school stuff and appreciate them.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

khaulah wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 00:38 I loved the format of this book. It would be fun to solve the riddles with children. I'm sure the kids will love it. Thanks for your recommendation!
I was impressed with how the author kept the rhyming scheme throughout the entire book. Both the dedication and the afterword kept the flow intact. It was indeed a fun read.

Thank you for stopping by, khaulah. I appreciate your visit.
Rosa Parks
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 334
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: Awesomely Awkward Dating Tips for Beginners by Tina Kowalski

Post by Hager Salem »

What a wonderful idea! how absurd is it for someone my age to be interested in such a book? :mrgreen:
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Yasmine M wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 04:26 The title captivated me and made me want to discover the book. I enjoyed the review and after reading it, I wished I had this author as my teacher :)
The author is quite a talented teacher--and illustrator! Judging from his rhythm and rhyming abilities, I wouldn't be surprised if he was a musician too. 🎶

Thank you for your visit and your comment.
Rosa Parks
Chris Walter Mason
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-walter-mason.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Chris Walter Mason »

I love reading children's books, I hope this one will be interesting. I will like to read it to gain some knowledge in teaching my kids. Weldon.
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I like the fact that this book teaches children to be grateful for their school supplies in a fun and interactive way. It sounds like the author put a lot of thought into writing and illustrating it.

Thank you for your wonderful review and analysis.
😊
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Always grateful to the school supplies. The book sounds great and memorable. And after reading your review, I learnt how to say hello on a calculators- Amazing!
Duwire Banda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duwire-banda.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Duwire Banda »

This children's book sounds very intriguing although I am not a fun of such books. Great review.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 09:23 I like the fact that this book teaches children to be grateful for their school supplies in a fun and interactive way. It sounds like the author put a lot of thought into writing and illustrating it.

Thank you for your wonderful review and analysis.
😊
Yes, the author did put a fresh spin on these school supplies. Solving the clues would be a fun classroom exercise.

Thank you for your visit and your comment, Josephe-Anne!
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Okorji98 wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 05:18 The rhythm and message of the verses will keep children engaged and encourage them to appreciate everyday school supplies they may have taken for granted. A great children’s book.
It is a clever children's book indeed. The author is obviously a teacher who knows how to engage his students.
Thank you for your visit.
Rosa Parks

Return to “Children's Books”