Review of No Greater Adventure

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 510
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Review of No Greater Adventure

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "No Greater Adventure" by Melanie King.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hank and Sarah are two terriers who have been through a tough life. They were waiting for the day when a lovely person would come in and adopt them from the animal shelter. That day finally arrived, and Hank and Sarah were adopted together so they would not be apart. One day, while they were home, someone left a gate open. Sarah decided she wanted to go on an adventure and convinced Hank to tag along. Now, they were lost and scared. What will they do? Will someone rescue them? How will they get back home?

No Greater Adventure by Melanie King was an adorable read. The author portrayed Hank and Sarah as having a strong sibling relationship, which I enjoyed. Hank is timid, while Sarah is nothing short of curious about the world around her. I loved how I could see some attributes that Hank has in myself; I was never the child who wanted to take unnecessary risks with my siblings. Any reader who has siblings may see themselves in these terriers.

The subtle message about the reality of life in an animal shelter is another inclusion I appreciated. I volunteered at a local animal shelter years ago, and the images of how scared these animals were are still in my mind. Melanie did a great job describing the living conditions she and her husband found Hank and Sarah in. Hopefully, these descriptions encourage readers to adopt a dog from an animal shelter instead of buying one from a pet store.

Because this book is for children, I expected to see pictures in the story. Sadly, I did not see any photos until the book was coming to a close. Adding illustrations will help keep kids more engaged with the story. I found a small number of grammatical errors, but these errors did not affect my enjoyment of the book.

I rate No Greater Adventure 3 out of 4 stars. If the author had included pictures or illustrations in the story, I would have given this book a perfect score. I recommend it to children between the ages of four and eight who love animals, especially dogs. Parents will also enjoy it because the behavioral traits and personalities Hank and Sarah have may remind them of their kids.

No Greater Adventure
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

Hank and his friend were lucky to get adopted. They are however facing a new adventure which in my opinion, is good for them. Children will enjoy the book without a doubt. This is a great review.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 510
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Shillah Andeso wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 01:19 Hank and his friend were lucky to get adopted. They are however facing a new adventure which in my opinion, is good for them. Children will enjoy the book without a doubt. This is a great review.
Thank you for commenting! If you give it a try, let me know what you think of these adorable pups! :)
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Asaodogwu
Currently Reading: Terms of Service
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asaodogwu.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary by Teddy konickson

Post by Asaodogwu »

I have a pet dog and sometimes I wonder if she's human because she behaves just like one. Dogs makes a great pet and reading a novel revolving on it will please my heart. Your review was so succinct and encompassing. I would love to have one of these books in my shelf.
David Chijindu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Play Golf Better Faster Handbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-chijindu.html
Latest Review: Finding Our True Identity by Honey Dee

Post by David Chijindu »

The adoption of Hank and his pal was fortunate. But they are now embarking on a new journey, which in my opinion is for the best. There is no doubt that kids will like the book. This review is excellent.
R_becca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by R_becca »

Hank and Sarah are so adorable and loving and that I sincerely wish they could find their way back home. I've never been so captivated with an animal character before.

Return to “Children's Books”