Review of Kitty and I

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Review of Kitty and I

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kitty and I" by Karyn Connors.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kitty and I is a children's book, written and illustrated by Karyn Connors. This is the story of a human, Kitty, meeting her assistance dog, Raffy. It shows the day they first meet. It shows the special bond they develop. It shows the things they do together. It also explains why Kitty needs an assistance dog. It details the training Raffy must complete for this role. Most importantly, it shows how much they love being together.

Kitty and I is written from the dog's point of view. This is a great twist on a classic love story about the bond between a human and her​​ dog. The book teaches children about assistance dogs, including why a human might need one. It details the training required. It also discusses the symptoms of anxiety in humans. Thus, in addition to being fun and entertaining, this book has educational value.

Kitty and I is filled with colourful and innovative illustrations. Children will love the fact that the pages are completely covered with pictures, with the text laid over the top. The illustrations combine painted elements with occasional photographs. On one page, Kitty's body is a photograph; only her head is illustrated. On another, one of Kitty's hands is the only photographic element. Though it is unusual, this mix of styles works. It also provides a point of difference from other children's books.

As for negatives, I found only two minor errors in the book's text, both in the same sentence. Also, Raffy's name is not mentioned in the story, only in the blurb at the end. However, it could be argued that the dog does not know or understand his name, which is why he never mentions it.

Kitty and I is a fantastic children's book. Connors has created something for kids that is bright, fun, and informative. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to the parents of young children, particularly those who love dogs. Given its educational value, it should suit kids up to 10 years old.

Kitty and I
View: on Bookshelves
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

Children book that contain hidden and subtle lessons are always informative and important. This book gives lessons on the need for a dog assistance.
Setshego Motsilinyane
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-setshego-motsilinyane.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Setshego Motsilinyane »

I agree with the author that anyone deserves to own his dog or young ones, I think it is a good book for educational value.
Bjjane
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bjjane »

This book actually shows humanity, shows the beauty of a person being able to shows a great relationship with any animals or to the dog. The how a human cares and shows love for the dog is an example of a great person which also one of the good example to follow.
Jerrome Houdek

Post by Jerrome Houdek »

This book has many lessons of value that we need to teach children. The most important part is teaching the children about lessons for dog assistance.
Boekwurm95
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret

Post by Boekwurm95 »

It is a fantastic story . About a girl kitty and her best vrend dog , why se needed the dog . Just compleet anthoher wane .love kindnes loyalty
Okorji98
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

This is a children’s book with a lot of values and morals to teach. Great review.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

A simple story with moral values, great for kids. Thank you for capturing the gist of the book for beautifully!
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

Stevenmusk wrote: 04 Oct 2022, 11:50 Children book that contain hidden and subtle lessons are always informative and important. This book gives lessons on the need for a dog assistance.
Yes, teaching but in a fun way is good and memorable too.
zana mott
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by zana mott »

Kitty and I , is something a book for my kids . It can help them with their self-esteem. Also, can help them understand that it is okay for them to get assistant with stuff they need helped with or if it taken them a moment to learn anything. Example : their name or how old are they. This story Kitty and I is a book I want my kids to read to help them in the real world.
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

This book sounds delightful. What was your favorite part? You wrote a very nice review.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Stevenmusk wrote: 04 Oct 2022, 11:50 Children book that contain hidden and subtle lessons are always informative and important. This book gives lessons on the need for a dog assistance.
Very true. Children's books that educate are of great value. Thanks for commenting!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Okorji98 wrote: 09 Oct 2022, 20:56 This is a children’s book with a lot of values and morals to teach. Great review.
Thanks! The bond between a dog and its owner is a beautiful thing. They truly are amazing creatures.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

FunkyFlowerLady wrote: 15 Oct 2022, 00:34 A simple story with moral values, great for kids. Thank you for capturing the gist of the book for beautifully!
Thanks! I think young kids will really love this book.
Wren Michaels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wren-michaels.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Wren Michaels »

This sounds like a great book for kids with a deeper teaching, although, there is something about the illustration on the front cover that I find somewhat unsettling.

Return to “Children's Books”