Review of Super Gay

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bef Ozo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bef-ozo.html
Latest Review: Ditching Success? by Batoul I. Ajlouni

Review of Super Gay

Post by Bef Ozo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Super Gay" by Jessi Hersey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Jessi Hersey's Super Gay, Madison is super gay, and she is ready to save the day. She explains what pronouns are and their applications to people based on their preferences. Madison knows that there are people who believe that love has a certain way it should look, but she is ready to fight against these people. With her full confidence and her colorful cape, she is ready to save the day. Madison is not an exception to love, as she also falls in love with Christiana, who also goes by Chris. What will the love story of Madison and Christiana look like?

The best part of this book is that it talks against discrimination of any kind, irrespective of the person's sexuality or personality. Today, the rainbow community tends to face much discrimination from people. So, it is better to teach these younger ones early to respect people and never discriminate against anyone. Madison is a loveable character. Her confidence and colorfulness will make any child love her instantly.

This book was very informative. It starts by explaining the meaning of pronouns and their applications in the second and third person. This book shows that love has no limits and that anyone can love whomever they want. The images were very colorful. This is a short story with a powerful message.

The story was well-written and clear, but I feel this message may be overwhelming for younger children, considering the age bracket this book was written for. Most of them may not be able to use these pronouns properly. This means they cannot read this book independently without proper guidance from a grown-up.

The pros outweigh the cons in this book, so I will give this book a complete rating of 4 out of 4 stars. No errors were spotted in this book; it was well-organized and exceptionally edited. I recommend this book to children between the ages of 3 and 6. Some parents may not approve of their children reading this book. So, if you know you are not a fan of the LGBTQ+ community, you may not fancy this one. 

Super Gay
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Okorji98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

The best part of this book is that it talks against discrimination of any kind, irrespective of the person's sexuality or personality. Great book and nice review.
Sapto Cahyono
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sapto Cahyono »

It surely a bold book. It might be not suited for those who have different views about LGBT more over this book is for children. Thank you for the review.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

I do agree with your opinion on the age bracket for this book. it would be overwhelming for kids indeed. But nonetheless, it is in good spirits and can be understood properly with help from adults. Love this book and your review of it!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The story was well-written and clear, but I feel this message may be overwhelming for younger children, considering the age bracket this book was written for. Most of them may not be able to use these pronouns properly. This means they cannot read this book independently without proper guidance from a grown-up.

You make a good point. I consider myself an LGBTQ+ ally, but the intricacies of grammar are not young kids' strong suit. I do hope the book helps transmit the message of acceptance towards all sexual orientations and gender preferences.
Great review!
Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youngreader720-oluwabukunmiwilliamsoso.html
Latest Review: Swoosh! Shooting the Perfect Shot by Wajeedah Bilal

Post by Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso »

The book preaches acceptance and stands against discrimination, which are vital lessons for everyone, irrespective of age. However, I'm not sure other aspects of the book are appropriate for young children. A great review, nonetheless.
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

This will make a wonderful gift for both my son and my cousin's daughter. Great job on the review!

Return to “Children's Books”