Review of Cabbagetown Bunny Family & Friends

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bef Ozo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bef-ozo.html
Latest Review: Ditching Success? by Batoul I. Ajlouni

Review of Cabbagetown Bunny Family & Friends

Post by Bef Ozo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cabbagetown Bunny Family & Friends" by Reese C Shanks.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Betsey and Bobby Rabbit left their little village to start their family in another town. In their new home, they had the frogs as their neighbors, and Betsey always watched them swim around all day and have a sunbath. Betsey and Bobby had a baby bunny whom they named Ribbit. Ribbit grew up fast and was very adventurous. He became friends with Happy and Hoppy, the two younger frogs. One day, Ribbit went against his mother's rules to join the frogs in swimming. What was the outcome of this action? This book also contained other stories, like the ones about the other children that Betsey and Bobby had.

This book, Cabbagetown Bunny Family & Friends by Reese C Shanks, was lovely to read. It contained up to five different stories, and each had a different message of its own. The morals taught in this book will positively impact the lives of the children who read it. The author also used relatable events and occurrences to dish out these morals. For example, the story of Raymond showed how caring Raymond was even when faced with danger from the people he cared for.

The storytelling skill used in this book was quite catchy and will keep a child glued to it. The diagrams were elaborate and colorful. There were funny moments in this book too. Chubby was quite the character, and I chuckled every time I read about him.

I feel a child should be able to enjoy their books with or without the presence of an adult, but I do not think it will be possible with this book. The font size was tiny, and children may have struggled to read it. Some of the words used may be difficult for children to understand. Some of the stories in this book seem to be cut off early. Even as an adult, I was not comfortable with this. Finally, I wouldn't say I liked that a character in this book displayed disobedience with the excuse of a motivational quote. It seemed like the book was trying to give an excuse for disobedience.

The negatives of this book were too much for a children's book, so I will be dropping the rating. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It was exceptionally edited, and I did not come across any errors. I recommend this book to children between the ages of 5 and 9. Parents and guardians can read this book as bedtime stories to their children and wards. Children's teachers can also read this book to the children during school hours.

Cabbagetown Bunny Family & Friends
View: on Bookshelves
Marybreda reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marybreda-reads.html
Latest Review: Bawdy Jokes & Patter Songs by Denny Hatch

Post by Marybreda reads »

This is an interesting book that I believe children would enjoy reading. I also feel that they would learn a lot of beneficial things from it. Nice review.
Mmeso Goodness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmeso-goodness.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Mmeso Goodness »

This storyline of the book is quite unique.
However, I wish the author had done otherwise in the negatives you mentioned.
Great review.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

An amazing storybook for the kids indeed, though it could have been simpler as you pointed out. Lovely review!
Wash William
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wash-william.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Wash William »

I love your review and the storyline of this book. However, it's quite bad that the audience of this book weren'tb fully considered while writing. Thanks for pointing it out.
Larabs Josh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-michael.html
Latest Review: The Aglaril Cycle by Rich Feitelberg

Post by Larabs Josh »

I bet this a book that would teach children the values of morality, especially in their latter stages of life.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iam-ama.html
Latest Review: The Curse of Northam Bay by Keith F Girard

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

Children's books should always be written with simple and easy to pronounce words. Apart from the lessons that children learn from these book, they also use them to learn how to read.
Thank you do being honest in this review, and for highlighting both positive and negative aspects of it.
Mozi Ken
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Mozi Ken »

I can imagine what will happen to a rabbit swimming. Children's stories have an interesting way of teaching children. I'm happy this one is more than one story. Good review.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

Of course Ribbit will not get away with disobeying his parents. This book was obviously written to teach morals that what someone does and get away with, another person may do it and not come out of it. Thanks for an interesting review.
Chukwuemeka Ezema
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuemeka-ezema.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Chukwuemeka Ezema »

There will be a lot of great lessons for children to learn from this book. I hope the author tries to simplify the book. Congrats on BOTD.
Hyfr Zack
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyfr-zack.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Hyfr Zack »

This book is jam-packed with exciting stories. Although I am not a fan of children's books, this one appears to be a good read. Excellent review.
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

I like that Cabbagetown Bunny Family & Friends explored some positive values that will help in the growth and development of children, as exhibited by such characters as Raymond. However, I would like it if the author addresses the negative concerns raised in this review; especially the use of some difficult words and abrupt ending of some stories. Children's books should always be written with extra carefulness.
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

This review sounds interesting. The author did a nice job in presenting the book to be interesting and easy to understand. Thanks for an honest review. So many things to consider before reading this book.
ometanoghenetejiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ometanoghenetejiri.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by ometanoghenetejiri »

Thank you for this insightful review. I now have an idea of what this book entails. However, I'll pass on this one. The fact that it encourages disobedience is a big turnoff for me.
Ikechukwu Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwu-blessing.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Ikechukwu Blessing »

I appreciate the fact that the story is enjoyable and can be read by children. Am looking forward to reading this book.

Return to “Children's Books”