Review of Faldo's Fate

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ebele Ekelobi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Review of Faldo's Fate

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Faldo's Fate" by Barbara Low.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Faldo’s Fate by Barbara Low is the story of an adventurous and imaginative young lad, Faldo Grey, who represents the vast majority of children in elementary school and portrays the wild thoughts that go on in their heads. Faldo’s imagination seems to have him daydreaming very often, and though he has been diagnosed with an attention disorder, his mother refuses to believe it. She takes him to her herbalist, who claims to have a solution to Faldo’s daydreaming. Jungle Jubes were prescribed to Faldo, which upon taking, would make all of his dreams come true. He has to learn how to control his daydreams and be responsible for the things he causes because of them. Together, Faldo and his best friend, David, explore the Jungle Jubes and protect the town from the disaster that awaits.

The wholesomeness of the book is its standout feature. I loved the characters of David and Faldo; their thought process and how they got past the various scenarios they found themselves in the book was quite impressive. The entire school setting brought back a lot of memories and a deep sense of nostalgia while I was reading. I could relate to a lot of what David and Faldo went through asides from the magics. Faldo's personality was extremely likeable, and his imagination reminded me of my childhood when I invented various contraptions in my head whenever I wasn’t strictly being given something to do. The author certainly knows how to write his genre. Faldo's parents with their herbal and native solutions to everything, especially his father, reacted how you would imagine an actual parent would react to the crazy things Faldo did and hid from them.

The errors I found in the book definitely took away from the whole reading experience. Other than the errors I found, the book was very wholesome, enjoyable, and relatable. It was definitely a fun read.

I rate Faldo’s Fate by Barbara Low 3 out of 4 stars. I would love to rate this book higher because of how enjoyable the story was, but the errors made me deduct a star. I wouldn't say it was professionally edited. The author should improve the book's editing to get the best possible rating.

Being a children's book, I recommend Faldo’s Fate specifically to children, but everyone who loves simple interesting stories will also enjoy it. The ideas explored in the book were ones I had never watched or read anywhere else before now. It's popularly believed that nothing is hundred per cent original, but this one sure comes close to recording that percentage in originality.

Faldo's Fate
View: on Bookshelves
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

Very well-written review! Thank you for writing the gist of the book perfectly.
Itz Savaga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

Children and readers who love simple and fascinating stories should pick up this book. You delivered a great review. Well done.
Toolzjane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toolzjane.html
Latest Review: Bi-Polaroid by David Samuelson

Post by Toolzjane »

A story about an adventurous and imaginative young lad will interest a lot of children and readers of the teenage demographic.
nwankwo chibuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-chibuchi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by nwankwo chibuchi »

I'd love to know how Faldo and his best friend, David, explored the Jungle Jubes and protect the town from the disaster that awaits.
Alexander C Schmoock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

You talked about the wholesomeness of the story and I love to check out comprehensive stories. I'll read through the pages of this one.
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

I’d love to know if the Jumble Jobes worked on Faldo’s daydreaming problems. This seems like it’ll be a fun read.
Prosper2000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prosper2000.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Prosper2000 »

There's a lot of lessons for children in this book. They're are the perfect demographic for it. Good review.

Return to “Children's Books”