Review of I Wonder Why It's Christmas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gavice Victoria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Review of I Wonder Why It's Christmas

Post by Gavice Victoria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Wonder Why It's Christmas" by Esther Ekunola.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Children are always curious, and they ask all kinds of questions like: Why is the grass green? Where is God? Why is the sky blue? Why is it called Christmas? I Wonder Why It's Christmas is a children's book by Esther Ekunola that aims to answer the last question.

The story started when an angel of the Lord accosted Mary because he had a message from God. The angel told her that she would become pregnant and give birth to a son. But how can that be when Mary is not married yet? She relayed this confusion to the angel, who assured her not to worry about it because nothing is impossible with God. Mary then accepted the will of God. It was her acceptance of the will of God that was the beginning of the Christmas we all celebrate today.

Over many decades of celebrating Christmas, it has become a season that unites families and friends. Christmas brings joy to our hearts, and children are usually the happiest. This book, in a beautiful and easy-to-read manner, tells them how it all began and the essence of celebrating Christmas. It tells the Christmas story in such a way that the reader's heart will be lifted in joy.

I love how the author backed the story with Bible verses. I also love the way this book is adorned with beautiful pictures. What is a children's book without pictures? How would they even enjoy it? This book ensures that pictures illustrating the same story are present in the book. These pictures are one of the best things about the book for me. I love the way the author talked about love and why God gave us his son.

I love that the author sometimes poses questions to the readers. For instance, "What animal is Mary riding on?" "How many stars can you spot in the sky?" "What is the name of Mary and Joseph's son?" This will help children not only "read" the story but "know" it. Apart from those questions asked in the book, the author also compiled more questions at the end of the book.

There was absolutely nothing I disliked about this book. I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola is a simple and easy-to-read book. It was exceptionally well edited, as I did not encounter an error while reading it. For the above reasons, I am rating this book 5 out of 5 stars.

I would recommend this book to children over the age of four. It will help them learn the reason for the season of Christmas. It will also help them appreciate the essence of salvation through Jesus Christ.

I Wonder Why It's Christmas
View: on Bookshelves
Ilze Herholdt
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Salt of the Earth
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilze-herholdt.html
Latest Review: Healing Wounds of the Soul by Elizabeth Campos

Post by Ilze Herholdt »

I wonder why it's Christmas aims to answer every question a kid can think of. Thanks for your review.
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amy Toria »

Seriously, Christmas is now so common that a lot of people no longer remember why we celebrate it. I suppose this book is a to teacher the younger ones and remind the older readers how and when Christmas began. Great review!
Kelly Awino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kelly Awino »

This book seems to be what my nephew would love.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

Another book to add to my bookshelf this season. There is nothing as nostalgic as reading books about Christmas during the Christmas season. I'm glad I found one to pass the time. Good job on the review. I love the contents of I Wonder Why it's Christmas and I look forward to reading it.
Nike nikky
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nike-nikky.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Nike nikky »

This is a very amazing review. I’ve always liked and looked forward to your reviews and this is not an exception. I enjoyed how you write I sequential order and how understanding the review is. I’m definitely reading this book soon. Congrats on your published review.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iam-ama.html
Latest Review: The Curse of Northam Bay by Keith F Girard

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

Here's another book for the season! I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola is here to put is in the mood for the Christmas reading. I don't mind having it in my bag while I travel for this Christmas season. Thank you for Providing this detailed review of this book. Children will be thrilled to learn how Christmas began and the essence of the celebration.
Grace Elkana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-elkana.html
Latest Review: Humanity Works Better by Debbie Cohen, Kate Roeske-Zummer

Post by Grace Elkana »

What is a children's book without pictures? This is the biggest question every reader asks. Illustrations are what makes children's books worth reading. It's a good thing it was not lacking in this book.
Grace Lee Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

Who would wonder why it's Christmas? A time most people look forward to? I'm a massive fan of childrens novels because of the simple writing style employee by the author and the heat warming illustrations.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

My inquisitive niece will surely love this book. She loves Christmas because of the presents. Who's kids don't like presents? This book will teach my niece, and all the potential readers (kids) what is the meaning of Christmas, and why it began. Such a nice review!
Goody book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goody-book.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Goody book »

This book is interesting and it entirely fit this present period. This be a nice present for children as they will like the book more. Kudos to your review.
Grace Lee Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

I love what I Wonder Why its Christmas centers on. All the troubling questions children might have are answered in a detailed and coherent manner. I'll love to pick up a copy of this compelling book. Your review is well-written.
Naijuka Ramon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Naijuka Ramon »

No parent should ever miss to capitalize the season of Christmas by sparking the essence of Christmas in the heart of the children.. I believe the Commemoration ignites curiosity in children and they grow up asking the right questions and we believe they always get the answers..
Christmas is the deal..
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

I wonder why it is Christmas is fascinating and educative .it has cleared the curiosity children had about Christmas. Great work!
Samuel Songs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-songs.html
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak

Post by Samuel Songs »

For sure, a lot of people have forgotten the reason for the season. Christmas came to be for some reasons, and this book explains those reasons. I'm looking forward to reading this book in the future and I'm sure I won't be disappointed. Thanks for the great review.
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak

Return to “Children's Books”