Review of Virginia is for Adventurers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Virginia is for Adventurers

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Virginia is for Adventurers" by Tara Z. Fisher.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Virginia is for Adventurers by Tara Z. Fisher follows Meg’s family in a scavenger hunt across their state. 10-year-old Meg, her annoying brother, Max, her sister, Melanie, and her parents embark on the 10-day adventure, hoping to emerge victorious. Each day the participants have specific instructions and clues for how and where to go and what to do.

The scavenger hunt begins at seven in the morning, and the first clue is to travel to a "Wise town" known for its kind people, and a few other leads are given. It is up to Meg and her family to figure out fast and timely where the location is, get there, and find the subsequent instructions. Along the hunt, Meg and her family make new friends. However, as the adventure continues, two bullies emerge out of the blue and begin making the hunt hard for Meg, her siblings, and her new friends. What will happen? Will they stand up to the bullies?

First, I applaud Tara Z. Fisher for taking me across Virginia. I have never been there, but the adventures in the book made me familiarize myself with the state. I loved the thorough descriptions of the distinct places Meg and the others traversed. Did you know there is a "Devil's Bathtub" in Scott County, Virginia? Well, now you do.

I learned immensely about various disciplines. For instance, a botanic guide explains to Meg and the rest how some toxic plants can be used to prevent and heal certain diseases. Plus, I gained historical knowledge. Did you know seven presidents of the United States were born in Virginia? Which ones are they? I learned about the scandal surrounding George Washington's place of birth. In addition, a region in Virginia has a unique accent from the rest of the United States. What place is it? Grab a copy and learn facts!

The book was exceptionally edited, as I noted no errors. I discovered nothing to loathe. Hence, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars and 5 out of 5 stars. While the characters are fictional, the places are real. I searched them up on Google to read more fascinating facts. I recommend the volume to kids who enjoy exhilarating outdoor adventures.

Virginia is for Adventurers
View: on Bookshelves
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

This book is fascinating, packed with adventures and fun facts about Virginia. The author should, if not done yet, carry on and make one for each state. I am sure the kids will love it.
Aleena Augustine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleena-augustine.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Aleena Augustine »

Your review of the book makes me want to explore the thrilling scavenger hunt across Virginia with Meg and her family! The blend of adventure, education, and real places adds a unique touch. Great job on the review!

Return to “Children's Books”