Review of Creekside Tales

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Review of Creekside Tales

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Creekside Tales" by J.M. Didinger.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

How will it be if humans and animals live in harmony in the same habitat? I believe life would be as beautiful as it was with the children and the animals in Creekside Tales by J.M. Didinger.

Creekside Tales follows the adventures of eight animals and six children. It has twelve chapters, with each chapter having its own moral lesson that will enrich the upbringing of kids. Dusty is a chipmunk who likes to play tricks on others, especially Harrison, an owl. Maddie is a bear with a motherly figure that cares for others, and Red is a fox. He is considered the most creative of them all, with a lot of inventions that make life easier for them all. Tucker is a workaholic beaver. He is always serious and at loggerheads with playful Cody the racoon. Walker is a turtle, and Bun, the youngest of them, is a rabbit. While these animals were having adventures in their small world, Catchum Creek, they had several encounters with the kids that live in Willowood. One of these encounters almost claimed the lives of Harrison, Dusty, and Walker. How did they manage to live through these encounters? Enjoy this story by Didinger.

This is a beautiful story that has a lot of lessons for kids. Ranging from the importance of teamwork to the benefits of taking care of the animals around us, there is also a resounding tone of obedience and respect for elders. There is always a benefit to not looking down on others. Also, if we give everyone a chance to live their lives, we will realise no one is a waste. Walker felt useless among his colleagues, but Harrison was there for him to encourage him, while Red made him feel special and useful. There are other lessons to learn from this great piece.

The story is well delivered with simple English and a clear message. The kids, who are the primary audience, will not find it difficult to understand the message. It will be good for a bedtime story for children between ages 4 to 10. Every other age group will also find the book interesting and engaging. While I was reading it, I felt like I was seeing an animated movie.

I would have loved it if illustrations had accompanied the story. It would make the book more relatable and attractive to children. That’s the only thing I found missing in this book.

This book seems to have been professionally edited, as I found a few uncounted errors in it. Therefore, I will rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because of the points mentioned earlier. My observation is not enough to remove one star from the rating.

I recommend this book to teachers and parents because it is a good book for bedtime stories as well as a good book to spice up the day for the children in the class.

Creekside Tales
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

I liked the illustration on the cover. It's sounds like a book I would of loved as a child. I have smaller kids that I believe would be interested in this. Thanks for the review. It makes to book feel informative and fun.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

If animals and humans coexist, I believe the world would be a wonderful place filled with wonders and adventure.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
FunkyFlowerLady
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

This book seems like a simple story with great messages sprinkled throughout the book like the importance of teamwork to the benefits of taking care of the animals around us, obedience and respect for elders. Great review!
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

I love the morals of this book which includes teamwork and respect for elders. These are really lacking in our society today.
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

A children's book that talks about eight animals and six kids living together in peace, I also agree that if we give everyone a chance to live their lives, we will see that no one is a waste. This is a book I would love my sisters and brothers to read. Thanks for the great review.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I know my son would love this book and he will tell me who all the characters are and what each is known for. He absolutely loves animals and being in charge, the latter doesn't always go so smoothly, but this book would teach him a lot. I would love to see a world as described in this book in real life.

Return to “Children's Books”