Review of Charlotte’s best friend

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PinkRose572
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chika-oroke.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review of Charlotte’s best friend

Post by PinkRose572 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Charlotte’s best friend" by Carrie Hriblan.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Charlotte has been doing these things for a long time: meeting hospital appointments, taking injections, gulping down dosages of drugs, and allowing her blood to be drawn for tests. Her heart is heavy and surges with emotion. It seems there is no hope going forward, and this leaves her and the readers wondering if the encounter she has just had with Rainbow Friend will have any positive impact.

This storybook is written to encourage Charlotte, an eight-year-old girl battling epilepsy. I admire Charlotte's courage, which should motivate other children suffering from any kind of sickness to remain strong and hopeful. I also understand her despair; she too is human. I couldn't help getting emotional at some points, especially with the questions she asked out of anguish on page nine: "Why am I different?" "Why do I have to be here?"

I appreciate Carrie Blackburn-Hriblan, the author of this storybook, for her artistic word choices, gripping narration, and a solid understanding of human emotions. As a result, I could understand Charlotte's pains and despairs over the long course of hospital visits and drug intake.

Patricia Loy Colebank did an amazing job illustrating this story. The paintings are colourful and capture relevant events in Charlotte's life. These paintings should help children better understand the various emotions Charlotte felt in those moments.

Children will learn a lot of lessons from the conversations between Rainbow Friend and Charlotte. Charlotte's parents are a source of inspiration for many parents out there with ailing children. They should learn one or two things in this book about how to help their ailing children navigate some difficult situations.

I don't have any negative aspects to comment on about this storybook. It was painstakingly edited. I did not find any grammatical errors in it. For the positive points aforementioned, I am pleased to rate Charlotte's Best Friend five out of five stars. There is no reason to rate it lower.

I recommend Charlotte's Best Friend to children aged five to twelve. This storybook is especially recommended for children suffering from any kind of sickness. It is also appropriate for children who feel lonely, neglected, or scared. I hope they pick one or two lessons from Charlotte's life experiences. I hope they learn from Charlotte how to believe in themselves and seek inner peace and happiness.

Charlotte’s best friend
View: on Bookshelves
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

Charlotte is a strong and resilient child. I hope she gets through all her challenges and sees the beauty of life. This book will stand as a beacon of hope to children suffering from any kind of illness.
Carriehriblan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Carriehriblan »

Thank you! I have hope that she will strive for success even through the difficult times.

Return to “Children's Books”