Review of A Bear and a Bird

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PinkRose572
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chika-oroke.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review of A Bear and a Bird

Post by PinkRose572 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Bear and a Bird" by John Shaw McCranie.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In Granite Gorge, an eagle and a bear struggle over food. They cannot agree on common ground, and the clash of interests grows fiercer until a particular incident changes the order of things to each other's amazement.

A Bear and a Bird is a children's story written by John Shaw McCranie. The story is illustrated by Stephen Tucker. The paintings are clear and appropriate and should help readers better understand the deep moral and political undertones of the story.

This storybook reflects on a very important event in world history. I liked the author's creative use of a bear and an eagle to develop this. Readers will be amazed to discover what these animals represent. The backstory helped me immensely in putting the storyline in its proper context. It was an amazing experience for me.

I liked that McCranie used a historical event and a then-politically misunderstood gesture to reveal the beauty and potency of even the littlest act of kindness. I consider this the most important theme in this story.

At the end of the story, there is a section titled "Teaching Questions from A Bear and a Bird," aimed at assessing a reader's understanding of the story. This section will help parents, guardians, or instructors assess each child's opinion of the themes covered in this storybook.

The author did a great job with the character development. The bear and the eagle's reactions are realistic. I found the question the eagle asked George the bear interesting. The word choices made in writing this story are simple and vivid.

This book was painstakingly edited. I did not find any grammatical errors in it. There is nothing to dislike in this storybook. I am happy to rate it five out of five stars based on the positive points I noted in the above paragraphs. There is no reason to rate it lower.

I recommend A Bear and a Bird to readers aged four to eleven. The thematic preoccupations of this book, especially the backstory, should also appeal to older readers.

A Bear and a Bird
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

Your review on this book is very interesting and catchy. The story of the bear and bird are found in old folk tales. It is exciting seeing it in a children's book.

Return to “Children's Books”