Review of Dare to Imagine:

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Bob and Bobbie and Other Short Stories by Derek Richard Fairey
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of Dare to Imagine:

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dare to Imagine:" by Leonard I Eckhaus.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

D​are to Imagine by Leonard I. Eckhaus is a collection of poems and fables for children. The author has received awards in publishing and music. Eckhaus is also the founder of a think tank and has published articles in major magazines. His talents are displayed in this unique collection.

The aesthetics of the paperback I read include the quality of the paper, the vibrant colors, and the font choices. Illustrations display diversity; both human and animal varieties are represented. These positive components create a backdrop for "a whimsical journey for kids aged 2-10." There are two parts to the book. Four poems appear in part one. Four fables appear in part two.

A​ll of the poems have been set to music, which can be accessed on the author's website or on YouTube. M​y favorite poem is "Things That Go Bump In The Night." The expressions on the young girl's face match the words of the poem perfectly. For the most part, all the poems have a consistent rhyme scheme and meter. I like that the font style changes for each poem and enhances the theme of the verse.

T​he fables in the second section all have the same font, and the delightful illustrations continue. Some of the stories in this section meet the requirement of a fable with anthropomorphism and a moral. "Fit for a King" made me laugh out loud when I realized the allusion that the author was using.

Leonard I. Eckhaus has thoughtfully added discussion questions at the end of each selection, which makes this a wonderful text for an adult and child interaction. My rating is 5 out of 5. The author states that his goal in writing this book was to encourage childhood imagination. I recommend this interactive book to parents who wish to share the joy of make-believe with their children.

Dare to Imagine:
View: on Bookshelves
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

Dare to Imagine sounds like a lovely little book. I love reading children's books, especially when the illustrations are good. It's very interesting that the author also included music available on YouTube! Thank you for the great review!
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

The access to music sounds good. I think children love that idea. Thanks for sharing!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Monica Omonigho Bennymoore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monica-omonigho-bennymoore.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Monica Omonigho Bennymoore »

Thank You for the review which makes this book a must read for me. I like the engaging orientation and creating a nexus from the book to other online resources. I appreciate the use of a discussion session to encourage active participation. This is a plus for the author's innovations.

Return to “Children's Books”